Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Bluebirds nesting

Hurray! One of my bluebird boxes has a new nest. I didn't see much of them all winter but now I see them regularly perching on nearby trees and diving and searching for bugs. Still waiting to see any action in the other two boxes.

A sure sign of spring!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Hurray! One of my bluebird boxes has a new nest. I didn't see much of them all winter but now I see them regularly perching on nearby trees and diving and searching for bugs. Still waiting to see any action in the other two boxes.

A sure sign of spring!
Linrose

That requires pictures. I'll live vicariously through your pleasant experience.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

YEY! I just saw (I think it was K-Mart) selling dried meal worms...About $4.00 for a good size bag...They LOVE those things!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

Very nice. How long have you had bluebird houses up? Can you see them from your home?
We live in much too urban an area to attract bluebirds but when we visit the in-laws in Hot Springs Village( in spring) we visit the bluebird trail. Funny how it never gets boring to watch these birds fly back and forth or perched nearby watching.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Good for you! I'm still waiting for ours to come back. I saw them over the winter, but haven't noticed them since. I'm hoping they made it through the dangerously low temps we had once or twice.

Pictures are appreciated if you get any.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Very nice. Funny how it never gets boring to watch these birds fly back and forth or perched nearby watching.
It is funny how we are a captivated audience... All they're basically doing is flying and eating.
I find the same type of enjoyment watching the tropical fish I have...
Both are serene mind soothing moments to rest the brain upon. This world is just too full of INPUT!
It's a very welcome break between the hustle bustle and noise that's taken over our very being.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
It is funny how we are a captivated audience... All they're basically doing is flying and eating.
I find the same type of enjoyment watching the tropical fish I have...
Interesting comparison. I used to love tending to (planting) and watching my aquarium. I got away from it and now prefer to focus on the property--but the end result can be the same: a creative and relaxing passtime.

I can't wait until I get my streambed started...I'd love to spend time outside watching the water--especially if there are some minnows or something swimming around.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Springs almost here and I'll soon be dumping the goldfish into the new pond I set in last fall. http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...llation-2.html
Bluebirds nesting-dscf1468.jpg
This shows where I've placed the shells Hedgerowe sent me.
It looks pretty cheesy in the photo with the aluminum fish dish just laying there. I'm thinking about adding sand to it for a Butterfly puddling area.
Hopefully when all is in and done it will all blend together with the old rope wrapped threesome post cluster, seagulls and lobsters crawling about.

I know it's not natural looking in the long run but I had so many seashells and such I though it a shame to have them stored in a box in the garage...At least this way I've created something sort of nautical...AND maybe the mice and chippies will get some benefit from crunching on them for their calcium content come Winter

Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default bluebird trail walkabout

I was out this morning checking the bluebird boxes and decided to bring my camera along because the dogwoods are in full bloom and the light was so nice. This is a mini-tour of my trail starting from the house and going in a counter-clockwise loop around the field.

The first box is very near the house just outside the fence and gets the first nest of the year. Hurray! Two new big blue eggs today!
Bluebirds nesting-bluebird-eggs.jpg

Next we continue up to path to the second box which hasn't had any nests in it for the past two years. I'll probably move it.
Bluebirds nesting-path-north-bluebird-box.jpg

Then we continue on to the back field that we bushhog every other year and on up to the third box on top of the east knoll.
Bluebirds nesting-east-bluebird-box.jpg

Yes! Another new nest! No eggs yet.
Bluebirds nesting-new-nest.jpg

Then on back down the hill toward the sycamore grove and back home.
Bluebirds nesting-path-sycamore-grove.jpg

All in all it's only about a third of a mile loop on our five acres. I love going out and seeing what's new at all times of the year but this time of year is even nicer with the dogwoods blooming, the bluebirds nesting and the temperature just perfect. It clears my mind when I'm really stressed.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #10

linrose,

Congratulations!

Thank you for the pics and the tour. How wonderful to have such a beautiful place to unwind.

I'm still waiting for my bluebirds to return. I, too enjoy walking the paths on our property (2 acres)...I'd love to have MORE land and longer trails! (Oh well, I guess I should be happy with what I have...*and* two acres will keep me busy for a long, LONG time!

Tags
bluebirds, nesting