Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Fox

cardinal2 Great Backyard Bird Count, Feb 18-21, 2011

The Great Backyard Bird Count is starting this Friday.

To sign up for the GBBC:
Welcome to GBBC — Great Backyard Bird Count

Have any of you participated in past years?
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

I've participated every year since the first year. So far I have 20 species for today's count. Pretty good for a February day in lower NY.

It's fun and easy....everyone that has a feeder should do it.
Luvbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Fox

I managed 16 species yesterday, so by comparison you have a nice variety. The red-wing blackbirds have just arrived, but looks like the white-crowned sparrows have already departed. Our Carolina wren has gone into hiding for the occasion.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
I managed 16 species yesterday, so by comparison you have a nice variety. The red-wing blackbirds have just arrived, but looks like the white-crowned sparrows have already departed. Our Carolina wren has gone into hiding for the occasion.
I *love* red-winged blackbirds...it shouldn't be much longer 'til I start seeing them here! They are a true harbinger of spring in my eyes. I can't wait.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

chickadee

My Carolina's have been absent the last two days of the count, Turkeys never showed up yesterday either! I had a large mixed flock of Blackbirds yesterday. It was an extremely windy day. Now we are expecting snow overnight, when that happens I get a *flock* of cardinals that can number up to 25! So far 5 have been gathered under my feeder this am.

One of the greatest daily joys for me, is to fill up my feeders and watch the action. Inexpensive way to get a mini vacation all Winter long.
Luvbirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1821, 2011, backyard, backyard bird count, bird, bird count, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird species, bird species count, birds, count, document, feb, feeders, great, record, species count, track