Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

hummer Tracking the Spring 2011 Hummingbird Migration

From Learner.org - Journey North:
Quote:
Welcome to Journey North's 18th season! We will be tracking the spring migration of the ruby-throated and rufous hummingbirds on their journey north this spring. Plus, this year we will be collecting your sightings of the 13 other species in North America. Meet and get to know our hummingbirds.
Journey North News: Spring 2011
Journey North Hummingbird Migration
(Posted Wednesdays: Feb. 2, 23, Mar. 2, 23, 30, Apr. 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25, Jun 1, 8)

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Migration Map, Spring 2011

Rufous Hummingbird Migration Map, Spring 2011

Hummingbird Sightings, Winter and Spring 2011

From Hummingbirds.net
Quote:
Let the migration map suggest when to hang your feeder. The 2011 map project will start in the last week of February.
Hummingbird Migration Maps

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

I can't believe another migration season is upon us...so hard to believe when it is so cold and snowy here in NY. We already had RWBlackbirds....so it is starting!!
Luvbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbirds View Post
I can't believe another migration season is upon us...so hard to believe when it is so cold and snowy here in NY. We already had RWBlackbirds....so it is starting!!
I'm still waiting to see my first red-winged blackbird of the season. It can't be much longer! Spring is almost here!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Salamander

Default They are HERE!

:happy dance
Hummingbirds are here!!!!! Hummingbirds are here!!!! They missed the Carolina Jessamine entirely, so I saw one nectaring on a salvia!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
:happy dance
Hummingbirds are here!!!!! Hummingbirds are here!!!! They missed the Carolina Jessamine entirely, so I saw one nectaring on a salvia!
I'm so happy for you...and for them.

...I'm happy for me too, 'cause this morning a whole flock of red-winged blackbirds descended on our feeder...and the seed I sprinkled on top of the snow--yes, snow...hey, I got a day off from school (work), so I won't complain.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

After I saw the migration map I immediately put up one feeder. They are up in Ohio and other points north of us now so I thought I should. I haven't seen any yet this year but I don't want them to starve if and when they arrive. I can always make more nectar if they don't for awhile.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

Saw my first hummingbird at the feeder today! I'm so glad I put it up. It's a male, perhaps migrating further north. I'll keep an eye out to see if he stays and is joined by a female.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Saw my first hummingbird at the feeder today! I'm so glad I put it up.
Yay!

Quote:
It's a male, perhaps migrating further north.
If he is, send him up my way.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #9

I decided to join Journey North so I can record my sightings. It's a great way to track migrations.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
I decided to join Journey North so I can record my sightings. It's a great way to track migrations.
Cool. Hopefully, when they arrive up my way, I'll join too.

Tags
2011, bird, bird migation, birds, hummingbird, hummingbird migration, journey north, link, maps, migrate, migrating birds, migration, migration map, migration maps, nothern migration, ruby throated, rufous, spring, track, tracking