Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

omg! The bear comes right up to your window!!! Is that on the upper deck?

There is lots of info in a kitchen drawer about living with bears. A large part of this development is a preserve.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

How'd I miss the bear photos? I must have clicked off of them before viewing it.... Nice and close...Too close.
Sure hope you're not feeding them any and they are now demanding food. That could become quite dangerous real quick!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
WG Operations, Facilitator

The bear on my deck is Fern. I raised him from a cub. Believe it or not he's not even one year old in that photo.

I avoided the backyard area near my deck when I was with the orphan cubs, but one day I had to use the bathroom in a hurry, so I dashed into the house through the patio door. I didn't realize that Fern had followed me until I came back. He was just wanting to follow his mum! I snapped the photo and returned outside. After that surprise, I never used the patio door entrance in the presence of the cubs again.

Fern was a smart little bugger. While I stood there taking his photo from inside the house, he figured out how to slide the door open.

Fern grew up to be a normal male black bear and moved on to seek out his own territory.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
He figured out to slide the door open
And then......?
Did he enter?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
And then......?
Did he enter?
LOL Havalotta! Absolutely no bears allowed in my kitchen until they learn how to eat with knives, forks and a napkin!

Seriously, I blocked Fern's way to the entrance, stepped outside then shut and locked the door.

For just a few minutes tho, it was amazing to watch the dexterity of a bear's front paw clasp a door handle and determine whether to push forward, backward, right or left in all of about 3 seconds. Like I said, Fern was a smart little bugger and always my problem child.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #26

So cool to have such experiences!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Great clear shots maggie! My attempts through the glass are always muddy (dirty glass) and bad. After our recent snow there were so many different species at the feeder I just had to snap a few.

The birds and squirrels seemed to get along together just fine. A few skirmishes occurred between the birds, the cardinals and goldfinches got into it a few times but the towhees, sparrows and doves just did their thing. I'm filling the feeders more than once a day now that the snow keeps other food sources scarce.
Attached Thumbnails
Through My Window-cards.jpg   Through My Window-mixed-bag.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #28
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

linrose,

The second picture looks almost like a greeting card!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #29

red cardinals look so cute on the snow~
Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thankfully, I'm now working with a camera that allows manual focus--the other one probably did too, but I never got around to figuring it out.

Anyway, thanks to manual focus, I got a good shot of a nuthatch through the window. I think they are so cute.

I am going to post the original and two cropped ones. Please let me know which one looks best. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Through My Window-003.jpg   Through My Window-nuthatch-crop-1.jpg   Through My Window-nuthatch-crop-2.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 03-13-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: not = now (makes a bit more sense after correction)
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, birdfeeder, birds, bluebird, cardinal, enjoy, feeders, feeding birds, glass, habitat, nature, photographs, photography, photos, photos through windows, pictures, wildlife, window, woodpecker