Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
bluebirdhappiness Birdsong Battles Seasonal Blues

"Today's winter solstice is the shortest day of the year and, combined with the ongoing weather misery, many people will be suffering from pre-Christmas gloom."

"Spending five minutes a day listening to birdsong may help beat the winter blues, scientists have suggested."


Let birdsong beat the winter blues - Telegraph
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Fox
 
benj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia
Default

That explains it, then. My upbeat mood can be traced to the several hours I spent outside, where I heard goldfinches, chickadees, carolina wren, white-throated sparrow and flicker. Winter solstice - YAY!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Heron
 
sprucetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan/detroit
Default

I'm thinking I might see the Lunar Eclipse but it might be blocked by clouds in Michigan, Today was Sunny and that helps too. The Squirrels seem more active on the nice days and seem to hunker down on the snowy days. The more we embrace Consumerism and watch TV commercials the more we get depressed.. This time of year should be used to Chop Wood Make Candles and spend time with family and friends A good point; Now the days start getting longer.
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Grub
 
Runmede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia
Default

If I spend time with my extended family, I'll get depressed again--I rather listen to the birds sing. I set up some feeders and a heated bird bath on the deck outside my family room. I love watching the birds.
__________________
"Man should be good stewards of nature."
Runmede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
...Today was Sunny and that helps too. The Squirrels seem more active on the nice days and seem to hunker down on the snowy days...
Sunny days sure do help!

Your comments make me wonder if animals get down in the dumps this time of year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
...The more we embrace Consumerism and watch TV commercials the more we get depressed.. This time of year should be used to Chop Wood Make Candles and spend time with family and friends A good point; Now the days start getting longer.
Good point. I love the "chopping wood and making candles" time of year...family and friends too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runmede View Post
If I spend time with my extended family, I'll get depressed again--I rather listen to the birds sing. I set up some feeders and a heated bird bath on the deck outside my family room. I love watching the birds.
...everything in moderation. Some family can only be taken in small doses.

Watching birds can be done in large doses.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
WG Facilitator
 
biigblueyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cajun Country, Louisiana, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Some family can only be taken in small doses.
Are you related to me?!?!?!
__________________
My yarden and I lean a little to the wild side.
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

I spent way too much time with my extended family due to the east coast snowstorm. I got home to Jersey last night and spent most of the morning shoveling. Being out in the sunshine, listening to the crows cawing in the quiet distance, feeling my aging body responding to the much needed exercise--these things are what I needed to chase away the winter blahs.

I am with you, Runmede.
__________________
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Are you related to me?!?!?!
~smile~ Why? Do you find you can only handle *me* in small doses?!?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I spent way too much time with my extended family due to the east coast snowstorm. I got home to Jersey last night and spent most of the morning shoveling. Being out in the sunshine, listening to the crows cawing in the quiet distance, feeling my aging body responding to the much needed exercise--these things are what I needed to chase away the winter blahs.

I am with you, Runmede.
Aww...but welcome back. Glad you found a way to chase away the winter blahs.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Aww...but welcome back. Glad you found a way to chase away the winter blahs.
Thanks, Dapjwy! I am glad to be back home in Jersey as we prepare for possibly another storm! Arggghhh!
__________________
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battles, bird, bird calls, bird songs, bird watching, birds, birds singing, birdsong, blues, cheerful, cheery sounds, seasonal, seasonal blues, seasons, singing, solstice, winter, winter activities, winter blues, winter solstice

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2