Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

I'm working on pumping up the natives but.... we're still feeding. This site gives decent advice on keeping feeders disease-free, 3 Ways to Keep Your Feeder Disease-Free for Birds | Audubon Magazine Blog. The only thing I'd add is that you have to soak the feeders in the bleach solution for about 10 minutes and the water basins too. For the seed around the base of your birdfeeders.... just run an extension cord outside and suck it up with a shop vac. The snow gets crusty and not too much comes up except the hulls.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I admit I don't sterilize the feeders enough, once a month seems like a lot. I do clean them at the beginning of the season or if I run out of seed and have a break to give them a good soaking. I want to add a heated birdbath this year too, I'm pretty good about cleaning the summer basin every time I fill it up which is usually once a day in summer. It's easy to do because I change the cat's waterbowl at the same time every morning.

We got a record snowfall for the day yesterday, 3 inches in our county with surrounding counties getting up to 6 inches. That is a lot for us! Of course schools were closed and the rest of the week doesn't look much better with sleet and freezing rain on Wednesday and Thursday. Our windchill today will be around 0 degrees with an actual high of about 20. Lots of birds at the feeders this morning!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #23
Mentor

I also wonder if the age of bleach matters. With some amphibian disease pathogens, the bleach bottle must have been opened very recently or it is not effective even if the bottle was recapped.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I also wonder if the age of bleach matters. With some amphibian disease pathogens, the bleach bottle must have been opened very recently or it is not effective even if the bottle was recapped.
I never knew that about bleach! Good to know when I'm bleaching caterpillar cages!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird seed, birds, chickadees, cold weather, downy woodpeckers, feeder, feeders, feeding birds, goldfinches, juncos, nuthatches, purple finches, red bellied woodpeckers, safflower seeds, seeds, suet, sunflower seeds, time, titmice, winter, winter time