Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

chillpill

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
The question of bird health and feeders seems to come up every year. I'm still using feeders but leave all the plant stalks with seeds until spring clean up so I guess I'm supplementing with feeders. I don't use platform feeders but like dapjwy will sprinkle some sunflower seeds on the deck (not the ground under the feeders) for the cardinals, sparrows, juncos and other ground feeding birds.

I haven't seen many purple finches around yet, but the goldfinches are abundant. We don't get pine siskins or warblers because our woods are almost entirely deciduous with eastern redcedars sprinkled in.

I too would hate to give up feeders because I enjoy watching the birds so much. I'll try doing more reading on the subject though just to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

I think letting our natives go to seed and leaving them is a great idea...perhaps I could bring some dried seedheads near the window so I can get some natural shots and the birds can get some of nature's seeds.

I also like to see seedheads covered in snow.

I've not seen purple finches for YEARS...now I did move across the state, so that might have something to do with it. I've never seen pine siskins (that I remember) or warblers. I planted some white pine, but they are small. No matter, there are some mature ones across the street from me. But, for the most part the hillsides/mountains are still mostly deciduous trees.

Please keep us posted on what you find out. I'm sure many people would hate to give up feeding, but would want to do the right thing.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks midwesternerr, I needed that affirmation. I don't know how much the neighbors care but we certainly do. Every little bit helps.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #13

Oh, dapjwy, we cross-posted! Are you getting snow right now? We are having a blizzard, or what constitutes a blizzard here in south central Kentucky. Are you in eastern or western PA? Jason is originally from Bucks County PA so I'm a bit familiar with the area, and I'm from upstate NY. I don't remember if I encountered purple finches there or not. They have always been in my bird memories!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #14

This evening the snow was falling. I discovered that keeping the flash on creates this sort of cool foreground look to the falling snow. What do I know, I'm not a photographer! We get snow so infrequently here that I love to capture it. I'm sure most of you in the north country are already bored by it but I still find the first big snow magical.
Attached Thumbnails
Time for feeders?-backyard.jpg   Time for feeders?-field-white.jpg   Time for feeders?-december-snow.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #15

I don't want to be an ostrich and ignore the problems with West Nile virus and the like but there has to be a positive result of feeding birds. I'm not a Pollyanna but I do believe that the positive outweighs the negative here. I just read the West Nile thread and while it is interesting and informative I don't believe it to be the death of the practice of feeding birds. In fact it may catalyst to more discussions and interest in the matter.

I do like a good discussion. Bring it.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Fox

Quote:
I discovered that keeping the flash on creates this sort of cool foreground look to the falling snow.
Nice effect!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
Mentor

Update: His ears must have been burning. The bird feeding relative just purchased 80 acres today in MO, some will have cattle but most will be put into conversation efforts. They just need the paperwork now and I've got more land to snake hunt on when visiting
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Oh, dapjwy, we cross-posted! Are you getting snow right now? We are having a blizzard, or what constitutes a blizzard here in south central Kentucky. Are you in eastern or western PA? Jason is originally from Bucks County PA so I'm a bit familiar with the area, and I'm from upstate NY. I don't remember if I encountered purple finches there or not. They have always been in my bird memories!

I have cousins in Louisville--or very near there. I'm surprised your getting snow. They always made it sound like they had to come to PA to see snow.

I was in Western PA...but we relocated to NE PA. I guess they are just in my "bird memories" now, too. I'd love to see them again. I'm almost sure it was a purple finch that I took a picture of as it was flying to the feeder. I changed the coloring, beak, tail and stuff to convert it to a bluebird for my bluebird painting. I do miss their visits. I remember reading a description of them looking like they were stained by raspberry juice.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #19

Quote:
This evening the snow was falling. I discovered that keeping the flash on creates this sort of cool foreground look to the falling snow. What do I know, I'm not a photographer! We get snow so infrequently here that I love to capture it. I'm sure most of you in the north country are already bored by it but I still find the first big snow magical.
j

Wow! You are getting a bit of snow. Not much here yet! ~big smile~ I can wait...I like the long fall and would enjoy a short winter with an early spring.
We are getting a bit of rain today with warmer temps. I heard that Pittsburgh area is getting 6 inches. Will all of your schools be closed tomorrow?

Thanks for the tip of using a flash with the snow falling. It creates a great effect.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
Update: His ears must have been burning. The bird feeding relative just purchased 80 acres today in MO, some will have cattle but most will be put into conversation efforts. They just need the paperwork now and I've got more land to snake hunt on when visiting

Great to hear that most is for conservation!

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird seed, birds, chickadees, cold weather, downy woodpeckers, feeder, feeders, feeding birds, goldfinches, juncos, nuthatches, purple finches, red bellied woodpeckers, safflower seeds, seeds, suet, sunflower seeds, time, titmice, winter, winter time