Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
WG Operations, Facilitator

woodpecker Red Bellied Woodpecker

Red Bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)
Photos taken near out woodpile in mid September.

Red Bellied Woodpecker-dsc_0013.jpg Red Bellied Woodpecker-dsc_0015.jpg Red Bellied Woodpecker-dsc_0021.jpg Red Bellied Woodpecker-dsc_0032.jpg Red Bellied Woodpecker-dsc_0035.jpg

Now that the black bears are hibernating, I can put my suet feeders back out for the woodpeckers that overwinter here.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Red Bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) Photos taken near out woodpile in mid September.
We see these frequently in the winter here, but I've sometimes wondered why they're called 'red-bellied' when most of the red is on their head - to distinguish fro the 'other' red-headed woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)? I would suggest calling the latter a 'red-necked woodpecker,' but then people might think it was strictly southern in distribution...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I think of them as the "red-mohawked" woodpecker, but that isn't politically correct either! Notice its name includes the epithet "carolinus" - it is a "red-neck"!

I don't have nice photos of mine, but I have a family of red-bellies who live in my woods who successfully raised at least one juvenile this year. I saw both parents with one juvenile a bunch of times at my deck rail feeder late summer/early fall, although I haven't seen them together recently. The juvenile's crest in grey rather than red; I don't know how long before it turns color.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

woodpecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
We see these frequently in the winter here, but I've sometimes wondered why they're called 'red-bellied' when most of the red is on their head - to distinguish fro the 'other' red-headed woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)? I would suggest calling the latter a 'red-necked woodpecker,' but then people might think it was strictly southern in distribution...
Hehehehe! It always confused me, too. I did see a male once on my suet feeder and saw his red belly feathers!

Here are a couple pictures from All About Birds. It says the red patch on the belly is often concealed by surrounding feathers...
Attached Thumbnails
Red Bellied Woodpecker-red_bellied_woodpecker_male.jpg   Red Bellied Woodpecker-red_bellied_woodpecker_male2.jpg  
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

He's adorable, Becky!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
...I've sometimes wondered why they're called 'red-bellied'... I would suggest calling the latter a 'red-necked woodpecker,' but then people might think it was strictly southern in distribution...
I was thinking the same thing (about the belly, not the neck).

LOL! Thanks for the laugh! Hee-HAW!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ahhh so they DO have red bellies after all!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
WG Operations, Facilitator

Great photos of the red tummy Bridget1964.

Thanks for the extra information about the Red Bellied Woodpecker everyone. This species is very common in our woodlands, so it's nice to know more about them.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Somewhere in one of Peterson's books, he mentions it was named by someone examining a tray full of preserved specimens, where the red belly was more obvious, but I can't remember if he was just guessing or not. There are about two dozen woodpeckers in that genus (Melanerpes)
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bellied, bird, birds, carolinus, coloring, feathers, melanerpes, melanerpes carolinus, red, red bellied, red bellied woodpecker, red feathers, suet, suet feeder, wisconsin, woodpecker, woodpeckers