Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Carolina Wren?

I heard a bird singing through the closed windows today, and after a little searching out the window, I spotted what I think is a Carolina wren. I was lucky enough to get one (fairly) clear shot through the window.

Is this a Carolina wren? If not, what kind is it?

Thanks,

David
Attached Thumbnails
Carolina Wren?-005.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Fox

Yes indeed. Noisy little things. Nice photo!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
Yes indeed. Noisy little things. Nice photo!
Thanks, benj1, for verifying it.

I think you meant to say *cute*, noisy little things. ~wink~

I really like them...I've read that house wrens are aggressive competitors to bluebirds for nestboxes. From what I remember, Carolina wrens don't pose the same threat to the bluebirds. (...and yes, I realize that the house wrens are a native species...I just don't want to encourage them while trying to bring back the bluebirds.) Can anyone verify that for me as well?

Carolina wrens utilize nestboxes, too, right?

Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #4

Oh, and thank you for the compliment on my photo, benj1.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

You're right about house wrens, they do compete for nestboxes but the Carolinas do not seem to. We had a problem with house wrens in the bluebird box nearest to the red cedars so we removed it entirely. We haven't had any more house wrens but we have lots of Carolinas. They will make their home anywhere. We've had them nest in the garage in an old milk crate and in our windowbox in the sphagnum moss. Check this forum for other places Carolinas have nested, they don't seem particular. They are cute, and noisy but I love hearing them chipping away.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
You're right about house wrens, they do compete for nestboxes but the Carolinas do not seem to. We had a problem with house wrens in the bluebird box nearest to the red cedars so we removed it entirely. We haven't had any more house wrens but we have lots of Carolinas. They will make their home anywhere. We've had them nest in the garage in an old milk crate and in our windowbox in the sphagnum moss. Check this forum for other places Carolinas have nested, they don't seem particular. They are cute, and noisy but I love hearing them chipping away.
Thanks for the feedback, linrose. I'm glad moving the box worked for you. I moved a box early this spring that was in the wrong place and seemed to be attracting the attention of some unwanted birds. So far, I've had a lot of luck with the two houses I have in the more open areas.

I'd be thrilled to have the Carolina wrens make a home in our yard. I was thrilled to see the noisy little fella. ~smile~
Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Very cute little wren!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Very cute little wren!
Thank you. (Not that I'm taking credit for his being cute--I had nothing to do with it, but I'd like to think I had something to do with attacting him to my yard. )
Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Carolina wrens are actually very stupid in their nesting habits. I had one nesting in an old critter keeper in a bin of junk on my deck this year. There was one nesting in the underside of the trailer hitch on a friend's horse trailer. Not the brightest of birds.
Carolina Wren?-carolina-wren-babies-nest-web.jpg

They are very cute. I have bunches of them, this being Carolina. They like to cling to the bricks of my house, eating the spiders who make webs there. They are very vocal. For all they are supposed to be primarily insectivorous, they definitely come for suet, and I have had them come to my seed feeders in the winter as well.

They are year round birds on my property. I have a group of about four to six (it varies who I see) individuals who I see and hear fairly regularly in my woods or on my house. They seem to work together to set a couple of look outs while the others are foraging or at the feeders. I enjoy watching them. I love your photo. I do better at butterfly photos since they stay still better!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #10

Thanks, turttle.

Your baby wrens look so peaceful and adorable.

I'm glad you have so many to keep you entertained year round. I do like them...I didn't realize they were not the brightest birds, in a way that makes me like them more (like they need it).

(Normally, I'm attracted to intelligence--at least in people ...may I'll give them extra points for the teamwork you describe as they set up lookouts while they feed.)

Tags
bird, bird id, bird identification, bird nest, bird photos, birds, bluebirds, carolina, carolina wren, carolina wren photo, house wrens, identification, identify, native species, nest, nestbox, nestboxes, photo, wren, wren nest, wren photo, wrens