Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #31
Unicellular Fungi

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm a member of a couple different forums, and none are as nice as this one! One is a dog forum and the owners/breeders bite harder then their dogs!! I'm going to try and spend more time here getting to know all of you like minded people.

The Hawk Watch I count at is all volunteer and has been for more then 50 years. How do you become a Hawk Watcher/Counter? When your children are in nursery school you spend ever available minute up at the watch learning from other counters. You do that for about 10 years and then you might be asked to take days by the person who manages the site. I don't have a personal favorite Raptor...each species makes my heart skip a beat. I do love the Broadwing Flight the best...seeing hundreds kettling together is something you never forget and it is what keeps me coming back year after year....to catch that big day where we see thousands. What does it entail, we record data by the hour and submit it to HMANA.

Bridget very cool that you are putting up a Osprey platform, they are doing so well because of people like YOU!

Although I would have loved to live in a more rural place, this area is closer to our families and where we grew up, it has been such a blessing to see all the wildlife that I do so close to Manhattan. Lots of hiking.

Again thanks....looking forward to getting to know you all!
Luvbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #32
Salamander

A flock of these were here a little while back. Goldfinches, maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Winged migration Fall 2010-ufo-bird.jpg   Winged migration Fall 2010-ufo-bird-2.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #33
Lungwort

Just saw a Carolina Wren at our feeder today. Is that species supposed to be here in NE Iowa this time of the year, Dec. 5th with 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground?

Earthyman
ionxchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #34
Fox

I have read that they push the northern limits of their range. The unfortunate ones caught by a hard winter perish. We had a lot of snow here last February, but somehow we had some that made it through.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #35
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
A flock of these were here a little while back. Goldfinches, maybe?

The second one definitely looks like a goldfinch to me. Not sure about the first. I don't often get to see them in their winter plumage. Did see two today feeding on seeds.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #36
Grub

I saw a flock of Cedar Wax Wings a couple of days ago. We don't usually see them until late fall/winter.

I set up my bird bath heater today. I am hoping to see more birds that aren't seed feeders. I've got to get some suet for the suet feeders, too.
Runmede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #37
Salamander

I think if one of those was a Goldfinch, they all were, because there was a small flock together. Love those colors, we don't see those often. They were helping themselves to seeds from the Viguiera dentata. So glad I got seeds for those, the butterflies, bees and other insects enjoy the blooms, then the birds enjoy the seeds. And it is a xeriscape plant...which is great! We're already in the second stage of drought here! Ugh!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
I think if one of those was a Goldfinch, they all were, because there was a small flock together. Love those colors, we don't see those often. They were helping themselves to seeds from the Viguiera dentata. So glad I got seeds for those, the butterflies, bees and other insects enjoy the blooms, then the birds enjoy the seeds. And it is a xeriscape plant...which is great! We're already in the second stage of drought here! Ugh!
Drought, how horrible! You guys had a lot of rain this summer and now this? Double ugh.

I love goldfinches! They always sound so happy when they call!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #39

Lots of snowgeese flying overhead the past two days. They sound like a whole bunch of barking dogs!

Tags
2010, back yard, bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird migration, birds, blackbirds, bluebirds, fall, feeder, feeders, geese, migrate, migrating, migrating birds, migration, pelicans, ruby-crowned kinglets, season changes, seasonal migration, winged