Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I'll guess Calliandra's birds are White Pelicans.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
Fox

Oooooo, cool!

Swamp thing, thank you so much for the ID. Using your info I found another picture of migrating pelicans that looks nearly identical to mine-- only much closer. Here's a link if anyone is interested: Dina's City Wildlife Adventures: Circle B Bar Part 3 - White Pelicans

Seeing them today really was a bright spot.

Yesterday I read Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" and was struck by the idea of saving bright memories to savor later: "flash upon that inward eye, Which is the bliss of solitude; And then my heart with pleasure fills, And dances with the daffodils." It's sort of the same idea as in Leo Lionni's children's book, Frederick, although that also has messages about ants-vs-grasshoppers and societies valuing artists too ( Amazon.com: Frederick (9780394826141): Leo Lionni: Books ).

Here's the poem:
"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" (also known as "Daffodils")
by William Wordsworth, 1807, as revised in 1815
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
and twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
in such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Wow, swampthing, you are good! I was going to say snow geese, not knowing Calliandra's location. Snow geese do form a V, though.

Been seeing lots of Canada geese, cormorants and some snow geese migrating through. The snow geese stay near here at the Forsythe Refuge.

Brant are coming back, too. Been seeing a few small flocks here and there in the back bays.

I heard the strangest some the other afternoon and looked up to see 3 very large swans flying overhead. The sound was their wings! They circled several times and landed in the bay. Not sure what kind they were. It was sweet to see them land in the bay right in front of my neighbor's house. Her last name is Swan and she died this summer. I think it may have been her with her husband and another. *big grin*
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #24
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Ionexchange, do you know where your turkey vultures go? We have year-round turkey vultures here, but I don't think we get extras coming in. We do get hawks. Our red-shouldered hawks just arrived this week.

Calliandra, I used to read "Frederick" to my kids. I loved Leo Lionni's books, and one of the things I miss most about my kids growing up is reading to them. I volunteer sometimes in the school reading program to read to kindergarteners and first graders who are having trouble learning to read, just to get my little kid "fix".

My juncos just got here yesterday. It will freeze tonight for the first time this year, down to 28. I heard rumors y'all got snow in the midwest. I guess it really is almost winter.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #25
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
The red-winged blackbirds will fly in great swirling flocks that separate into male, female, and immature birds and recombine and separate again, over and over.

Cool video:
Red Winged Blackbird Swarms Video

How cool!

I've never seen anything like that. Mesmerizing.

I've always liked red-winged blackbirds. I can't wait until the males return in the spring....followed by the females--and SPRING! (Not that I'm wishing my life away.)
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #26
Unicellular Fungi

Here in NY we are hoping for a Irruptive year for Redpoles. Last year I had more then 100 Pine Siskins spend most of the Winter at my Thistle feeders. The last week the rarer species I've had are Purple Finches, Pine Siskins, Dozens of Goldfinch and a lone Red Breasted Nuthatch.
Luvbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Ionexchange, do you know where your turkey vultures go? We have year-round turkey vultures here, but I don't think we get extras coming in. We do get hawks. Our red-shouldered hawks just arrived this week.

Calliandra, I used to read "Frederick" to my kids. I loved Leo Lionni's books, and one of the things I miss most about my kids growing up is reading to them. I volunteer sometimes in the school reading program to read to kindergarteners and first graders who are having trouble learning to read, just to get my little kid "fix".

My juncos just got here yesterday. It will freeze tonight for the first time this year, down to 28. I heard rumors y'all got snow in the midwest. I guess it really is almost winter.
I am a official counter at a Hawk Watch in my town. Every Fall from 9/1-11/15 for 7-8 hours each day, we sit on top of a mountain and count migrating raptors for Hawk Migration Association of North America It's pretty cool to hear you have Red Shoulders, as we had a lot of them migrate over in the last week! As for Turkey Vultures they do migrate, but not always too far, they go further south away from the Winter weather. We have started counting them in the last week or so. We have some that stay around most of the Winter and disappear when there is a lot of snow on the ground. This Friday is my last shift of the year, although I will miss seeing so many beautiful hawks and eagles, I won't miss standing in the wind and cold for 8 hours straight! Seems like we have been on a bad weather Friday kick this fall.
Luvbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Luvbirds,
Welcome to WG! It sounds like you have a cool job being an official counter for a Hawk Watch! I live an hour from Cape May and hope to be able to do something like that when I retire. Where do you do your Hawk Watch? Do you have a favorite raptor?

I have observed a lot of peregrines and merlins migrating through this fall. Not too many this week, but before it got cold, I saw quite a few! I like all raptors but really love the osprey. I am having an osprey platform constructed in the bay near my house this fall. We had one there years ago, but it was struck by lightning and fell down. I am so excited!

Again, welcome to our very friendly forum! We are glad you are here!

Mary Bridget

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #29
WG Operations, Facilitator

eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbirds View Post
I am a official counter at a Hawk Watch in my town. Every Fall from 9/1-11/15 for 7-8 hours each day, we sit on top of a mountain and count migrating raptors for Hawk Migration Association of North America.

Luvbirds,
It must be a lot of fun to be an official "Hawk Watcher."

I'm curious...How did you get to be hawk watcher and what duties does it entail?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #30
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Not to interrupt, but I'm not surprised there are bears and other wildlife within 50 miles of NYC. One thing I've learned from canoeing rivers in cities, is that there are amazing pockets of places that no one ever goes to, because there's a highway in the way or some other reason an area is never disturbed.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, back yard, bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird migration, birds, blackbirds, bluebirds, fall, feeder, feeders, geese, migrate, migrating, migrating birds, migration, pelicans, ruby-crowned kinglets, season changes, seasonal migration, winged