Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
Fox

Default Landscaping for Birds

Quote:
If homeowners used native plants in their yards - which would enable them to to control pests without using pesticides - it would represent the largest habitat-restoration for birds ever undertaken.
-John Flicker, President, National Audubon Society
This quote, which is cited in the book "Birdscaping in the Midwest:A Guide to Gardening with Native Plants to Attract Birds", is a snapshot of one of the author's central messages about landscaping for birds. The book is written by Mariette Nowak.

Birdscaping in the Midwest:A Guide to Gardening with Native Plants to Attract Birds
Author: Mariette Nowak
Publisher:
Itchy Cat Press; 1 edition (June 25, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0976145073
ISBN-13:
978-0976145073

This book covers Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Missouri in detail. But much of the information would be useful in the rest of the Great Lakes states and the Northeastern states as well.

It's one of two books that I've read recently that have made me rethink my approach to helping our native birds survive for our future generations. The core of this new approach is really quite straight forward: native birds need native insects to feed their young, native insects need native plants for food. It's the young, of course, that will become the next generation of adult birds. And by a wonderful coincidence, native plants are also the best choice to meet the needs of the adult birds. Using native plants in our gardens and landscapes can, and will, make a difference; and it's something that each one of us can accomplish.

The book starts out by presenting the scientific case for using native plants in our gardens and landscapes. Then it goes on to cover in detail what each species of bird needs (for food, cover, nesting, etc.) and which plants to grow to meet these needs. The author has put together designs for nine bird specific habitat gardens:
The Hummingbird Garden
The Prairie Bird Garden
The Bluebird Savanna Garden
The Woodland Bird Garden
The Wetland Bird Garden
The Migratory Bird Garden
The Shrubland Bird Garden
The Winter Bird Garden
Bird Baths & Water Gardens
It also has a chapter on maintaining and enhancing bird habitat gardens.

The book has excellent photos and illustrations. Its very well written, has enough detail and how-to information to actually create a bird habitat, and is a joy to read.

Amazon.com: Birdscaping in the Midwest: A Guide to Gardening with Native Plants…
I will age, but I refuse to get old.

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-30-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added link
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Heron

Thank you, NEWisc. This is one I want to add to my list.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Does anyone have a suggestion for info like this that targets the deep south or gulf south? Most of the garden plans I see for bird, wildlife or butterflies have very few plants for zone 9, and then there is high humidity and the related fungus/molds/mildews/wilts to consider.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for info like this that targets the deep south or gulf south? Most of the garden plans I see for bird, wildlife or butterflies have very few plants for zone 9, and then there is high humidity and the related fungus/molds/mildews/wilts to consider.
Bigblueyes ,

I would contact your states native plant society which in your case is Louisianna ,

http://www.lnps.org/

I believe I have seen native plant societies for every state in the union . Also try your states chapter of the Audubon society ;

From this site anyone can find thier states chapters .

http://www.audubon.org/states/index.php?state=LA

In Arizona there is the Arizona Native Plant Society , They in colaboration with various other organizations have produced a series of booklets such as " Desert Bird Gardening " and others .

Also check with any Arboreutums or botanical gardens in your area , most of these sources will have literature to satisfy your questions of your area . You like I are in a specialized area , the sources I am trying to direct you to are concerned with these issues and they will have the answers to your questions . I have found by going to multiple sources I will glean a little more at one that another source missed so do go to as many as you can .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
WG Facilitator

Thank you!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
WG Staff

Folsom's Native Plant Society
http://folsomnps.org/Gardening_natives.html

National Wildlife Federation always has good information:
http://online.nwf.org/site/PageServe...PlantInitative

You can kiss me later for this list:
http://www.plantnative.org/rpl-arla.htm
Keep in mind that's a regional list so not every plant will be able to take your zone 9. Take the scientific name and insert it into the USDA Plants database and determine if what they have suggested is native to you. If it is, you've got a good shot at a plant that will be well adapted to your zone 9 that will multitask attracting local wildlife to include the birds and butterflies you want.

Nurseries most likely to carry plants tailored to your site:
North American Native Plant Nurseries- United States A-L
LOUISIANA
- http://www.seedsource.com/
- http://stores.homestead.com/ecolage/StoreFront.bok
Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

ohhhhh, I do like the way the plantnative list is set up.

I'm copying all this info to check out later. Thanks so much.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

I've been to ecolage! The things in the gift area were the kind of things I'd just ooooohhhhhh over, and never actually consider buying. But some of their plants did come home with me.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
WG Staff

Sticking my cheek out to you so you can plant one on me. You owe me big time
Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

Don't I know it!

Tags
attract birds, attract butterflies, attract wildlife, birds, birdscaping, habitat gardening, habitat gardens, landscape for birds, landscaping, native plants, native plants for birds, native plants for wildlife habitat