Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
Mentor

Maggy, sounds like you've been busy! It;s OK to seed in those ground covers and just tell people you hand planted each one too
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
Fox

Here are a couple of pics of the backyard. Picture #1 is what we started with and picture #2 is what stage one looks like in the winter. I'll try to get a picture of it all green....
Attached Thumbnails
Landscaping for Birds-1999246256_1883524e11.jpg   Landscaping for Birds-foggyreservoir1208-11-.jpg  
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Heron

That is lovely, look forward to seeing more pictures of your spot

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #24
WG Facilitator

Wow- very nice!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
Unicellular Fungi

Beautiful MaggyNoLia! That will fill in nicely over the next few years. I was at a conference this weekend and the speaker was Doug Tallamy. He mentioned that the ornamental industry was 1.7 billion dollars strong with lots of lobbyists. He also mentioned how they can't patent straight species- no $. He discussed how we can create both formal and informal gardens using native species just as easily as we can using alien species and provided examples of how beautiful landscapes with North American native plants could be. Funny thing, some of his examples were from European landscapes where our plants are alien to them. He went on to talk about the constricts we humans have in our own heads. Keep up the good work MaggyNoLia! Corridors! I am convinced it is going to come down to corridors.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #26
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
Here are a couple of pics of the backyard. Picture #1 is what we started with and picture #2 is what stage one looks like in the winter. I'll try to get a picture of it all green....
May we have some after photos please ...

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #27
Grub

try your local Audubon Society as well. I have personally found them to be a bit better at native wildlife gardening than the native plant society. The NPS is outstanding, but for Audubon it's their specialty. They promote native plants and have a deep knowledge of the needs of migrants. It works.

For birds my advice is serviceberrys you can stuff on a property, viburnums viburnums viburnums, shrub dogwood (silky, gray) and blueberry family. Blueberry will go the day it ripens but viburnums and serviceberry help in winter. A small fruited cherry and crabapple are great spring food. Holly for late winter. Beautyberry does not get eaten often here but it may be that I have too many other preferred plants.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #28
Carbon

earth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
Um, your backyard is just a tad bigger than mine

I like the book recommendation though. Although Kansas was not listed as one of the states covered, I'm only 1/2 mile from the Missouri state line - I'm going to assume this book would be pretty ideal for my needs. I'm adding it to my (mentally) growing wishlist.
AlisonKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #29
WG Facilitator

Be careful, Alison. The folks here will have you ordering more books than the postman can carry. . . .
Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #30
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirsium View Post
May we have some after photos please ...
Everything just in the ground.

Landscaping for Birds-12-16-2008.jpg

One year later...minus the 20 plants we just planted that we picked up at our native plant sale.

Landscaping for Birds-10-20-2009-1-.jpg
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract birds, attract butterflies, attract wildlife, birds, birdscaping, habitat gardening, habitat gardens, landscape for birds, landscaping, native plants, native plants for birds, native plants for wildlife habitat