Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Fox

I agree with what many here have said about the NWF and your states native plant societies. Don't forget extension services, local forestry services online and offices of coastal resource management if you live in a coastal zone. Check with local university publications as well. I found an excellent publication this way for "Living at the Water's Edge" published by Clemson and DHEC. The Audubon Society has a book I liked called, "The Audubon Society Guide to Attracting Birds" by Stephen W. Kress and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. I think I ordered it from www.cornellpress.cornell.edu The Cornell site actually has a lot of good books.

We just completed stage one of our backyard. Every plant that we planted was a native to this area. We studied pictures and what types of what bird or mammal used what tree. We considered season of fruit and whether or not it would provide nesting. We're just getting started but that's okay. I still have a list of native plants that will make it to our yard. I just want to see how what we have now spreads. Then I'll use my list for filling spaces.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

That's the direction I'm leaning toward for the area near our pond. 2 sides are full shade, 2 full sun, a boggy area and the rest dry, so there could be a spot for almost anything that really appeals to me. I picked up an american beautyberry at the master gardener's fall plant sale, so I have one berry. I only want to get a couple of plants at a time, and since I'm just starting and have nothing wildlife garden-ish, it doesn't matter whether I start with berries or nesting/protection type plants. But I know I need all of those eventually.

I'll be taking the master gardener class this year, and part of the volunteer time is growing plants for this sale. They seem to be pretty heavy into the native plants, so by this time next year I should know a little about natives.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
an american beautyberry
I want some of those. They're way out of range for me but I still want some.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
Fox

The american beautyberry is one that we have. We planted a whole bunch down one side of our property. The Mockingbirds really seemed to enjoy them. I think we may have lost a couple due to irrigation issues, but they'll be replaced if that's the case. I'm really looking forward to seeing our plantings this spring.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

I have an area that is a microclimate where I think it might have a chance. Catbirds, robins, and cardinals eat the berries and I do have those birds visiting. This is one very attractive plant to me.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Salamander

Beautyberries grow like weeds on my property. (Nice weed to have.) The mockingbirds do love them. They cleaned them out early this year. I wish I could share them out to you guys ...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

The only thing that grows like weeds on my property is weeds.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
Co-Administrator

Quote:
The book starts out by presenting the scientific case for using native plants in our gardens and landscapes. Then it goes on to cover in detail what each species of bird needs (for food, cover, nesting, etc.) and which plants to grow to meet these needs. The author has put together designs for nine bird specific habitat gardens:
The Hummingbird Garden
The Prairie Bird Garden
The Bluebird Savanna Garden
The Woodland Bird Garden
The Wetland Bird Garden
The Migratory Bird Garden
The Shrubland Bird Garden
The Winter Bird Garden
Bird Baths & Water Gardens
It also has a chapter on maintaining and enhancing bird habitat gardens.

The book has excellent photos and illustrations. Its very well written, has enough detail and how-to information to actually create a bird habitat, and is a joy to read.
My kind of book; I've put it on my shopping list.
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

"We just completed stage one of our backyard. Every plant that we planted was a native to this area. We studied pictures and what types of what bird or mammal used what tree. We considered season of fruit and whether or not it would provide nesting. We're just getting started but that's okay. I still have a list of native plants that will make it to our yard." MaggyNoLia, what have you come up with since you last posted? What is stage 2 of your backyard?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
MaggyNoLia, what have you come up with since you last posted? What is stage 2 of your backyard?
We just completed stage one in Nov of 08 and it was a costly endeavor. We planted 12 trees, over 100 sweet grass, bushy bluestem and switchgrass clumps and around 60 shrubs.For now we are going to enjoy the fruits of our labor so to speak and give things a chance to grow up and out.

We still need ground cover and flowers and this is what we will concentrate on over the next year or two. We do know we want to add more Button bushes by the water, and we need to look into other plants that are edible for waterfowl for that area. We also know we have nothing that will be flowering or fruiting in Nov or Dec so we need to be on the lookout for something that will fit that need. Next month the Native Plant society here will be having a sale and we plan on being there bright and early to look for some of the flowers and button bushes we want.

We'll be taking it slow until we are ready for stage two proper. Hopefully in two years we'll be able to afford to expand the beds and decrease the size of the lawn. This is when we'll add more shrubs and grasses as well as filling in all the beds with ground covers and flowers. Once stage two is completed we'll re-evaluate the property and we'll decide if a stage three is called for.

Tags
attract birds, attract butterflies, attract wildlife, birds, birdscaping, habitat gardening, habitat gardens, landscape for birds, landscaping, native plants, native plants for birds, native plants for wildlife habitat