Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
WG Staff

bald eagle Feeding the Eagles!

Feeding the Eagles!
By Online Monday, February 8, 2010
Comox, B.C., Vancouver Island , Jan. 2009

Feeding the Eagles!
excerpt from above:
Quote:
... bald eagles were cruising over our houses looking for helpless cats to make a quick meal. Some kind souls decided to feed the eagles down at Goose Spit so they would survive the cold spell.

Here’s what happened…. A former teaching colleague took these photos in front of his home.. They are incredible!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I heard this was a farce or something some where but I don't recall where I had read it

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Looks pretty real to me and I've seen a large raptor take off with a cat before so that part's plausible. Did you check urban legends or maybe even snopes?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
WG Writer

Sky burial: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

In some cultures, scaffold burial was practiced. The body was tied to a tree and exposed on rock ledges specifically as an offering to birds of prey or Eagles.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I heard this was a farce or something some where but I don't recall where I had read it
You know what? Now that I'm thinking of it...
It was I that had put a link to that very same eagle feast quite a while ago from an e-mail someone had sent to me....
I would not be able to find the history of the story though as it was too far back...

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

hava> I don't remember the link you put up but.... I found the farce!!! A chain e-mail went around saying a group of concerned IL citizens was trying to save helpless cats by feeding the eagles last winter. Some blogger posted the whole “heart warming” story including some of the original text about how bald eagles had been cruising over houses in Illinois looking for helpless cats to make a quick meal until the “concerned” Illinois citizens stepped in and began supplemental feeding. It had a wonderful ending…. hundreds of helpless kitties “saved” from big bad bald eagles until….. there was a reply the whole thing was a “farce” pointing out Illinois didn’t have any mountains like the ones showing up in the photos. This did happen….. only it happened in Vancouver Island BC not Harvard IL. Kinda funny how so many groups picked up on this “IL” story and started spreading it around the internet as hope for all free roaming kitties. hazelnut> Are you suggesting the eagles were being fed something other than fish??? Just kidding. I'm liking sky burials even better than "green" burials and 500% better than traditional burials where we get pickled or incinerated, Cremation or Burial - Carbon Emissions and the Environment. If you think about it.... what a way to get yourself "recycled" that has next to no impact on the environment!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Well I knew SOMETHING was not right with that one.
I just didn't remember what it was.... Thanks Equill..

Tags
bald eagle, bald eagles, bird, birds, eagle, eagles, feed, feeding, feeding eagles, link