Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Co-Administrator

hummer Tracking the 2010 Fall Hummingbird Migration

From Learner.org:

Quote:
They're such lightweights that you could mail ten of these tiny dynamos with just one stamp! Yet they manage to fly hundreds or even thousands of miles fueled by the nectar from blooming flowers.
Quote:
Journey South News: Fall 2010
Posted Fridays: Aug. 27, Sep. 3, 10, 17, 24, Oct. 1, 8, 15, 29, Nov. 5

Fall 2010 Hummingbird sightings (map):
Fall 2010 Hummingbird Sightings

Quote:
Seeing Hummingbirds? Let Us Know!
Please report your observations this fall as hummingbirds prepare to migrate and as they travel to their wintering grounds. With your help, we'll make a migration map to show where hummingbirds are present from August through December.
Journey North - Fall 2010 Hummingbird Migration:
Journey South Hummingbird Migration: Fall 2010

Track Hummingbird Migration as a Citizen Scientist

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Week #2: Still Seeing Hummingbirds? Let Us Know!
During the past week, 842 people from Alaska to Florida shared their hummingbird observations. Thank you, citizen scientists! A picture of fall migration across North America is beginning to emerge.
Journey South Hummingbird Migration: Fall 2010

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Salamander

Thanks for the links! This evening I saw a hummingbird that was NOT one of my resident hummers! In other words, not a Black-chinned Hummingbird...but don't know which of the other species it was. It appeared just as I took the feeder inside to rinse it out and fill it again. Not sure why, but the hummers like to show up when I do that. Maybe it was saying "Bring it back!", but I don't know. I try to get it back out as quickly as I can.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
WG Operations, Facilitator

hummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
It appeared just as I took the feeder inside to rinse it out and fill it again. Not sure why, but the hummers like to show up when I do that. Maybe it was saying "Bring it back!", but I don't know. I try to get it back out as quickly as I can.
ButterflyLinda-
I've noticed the same behavior with the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds in my area. When I take the empty feeders down to refill, I get swarmed by hummingbirds. I fill them immediately and quickly return them to their hangers.

You're right I think they really are saying, "Bring it back!"
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Salamander

They make a point of flying up where the feeder should be! Kind of like to make a point of looking for it. Well, I suppose I could get another identical feeder and switch between the two to eliminate the "waiting time"! Aaah...should I really spoil them that way? After all, I do have hummer plants they can use also! Right now, I have Turk's Cap, Desert Willow and Flame Acanthus blooming that they use...maybe others, but that's all I can think of.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, bird, bird migration, birds, fall, fall hummingbird migration, fall migration, hummingbird, hummingbird migration, hummingbirds, migrate, migrating, migrating birds, migrating hummingbirds, migration, migration research, report sightings, sightings, tracking