Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Heron

The bluebirds are beautiful.
We don't have any chipping sparrows here right now.
I like the snowman shaped feeder... but where is all your snow?

I had to bring a couple of my feeders indoors to thaw out, because I couldn't fill them - they were ice covered and frozen shut.

And someone unplugged the cord to my heated bird bath, so that froze over. I was lucky it didn't break... anyway - I cleaned it off and plugged it back in... but then we got just enough snow to bury it... you could see the melt spot where it is. I probably should get a taller stand for it. Its only a couple feet off the ground.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepyeweed View Post
The bluebirds are beautiful.
We have had some vivid ones the last couple of years.

Quote:
We don't have any chipping sparrows here right now.
Well thank you. I had no idea what that little bird was.

Quote:
I like the snowman shaped feeder... but where is all your snow?
LOL. Snow? I live in the Charleston area of SC. We rarely get snow here and if we do it is even more rarely measurable.

Quote:
I had to bring a couple of my feeders indoors to thaw out, because I couldn't fill them - they were ice covered and frozen shut.
The only time my feeders come down is to clean them or if a hurricane is near. We don't get too many nights where it drops below freezing here and if it does it has usually warmed up past freezing by 9am.

Quote:
And someone unplugged the cord to my heated bird bath, so that froze over. I was lucky it didn't break... anyway - I cleaned it off and plugged it back in... but then we got just enough snow to bury it... you could see the melt spot where it is. I probably should get a taller stand for it. Its only a couple feet off the ground.
I'm glad it didn't break. I'm sure if we lived where water froze regularly we would use a heater too.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Puff the Magic Dragon

I have two that I would like to share. I love all of the previous photos. My second one comes no where near the others in quality, but I had to be quick (so the quality suffered. The first one I enjoyed because the goldfinches seemed so sassy, which is so unlike them.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Birds at your feeders-sassy1.jpg   Pictures of Birds at your feeders-sassy2.jpg  
old34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
Fox

Default Pileated Woodpecker

One of my favorite birds is the Pileated Woodpecker. This female found our feeder about a week ago and has become a regular visitor. I made this feeder especially for them.

The photos aren't as crisp as they should be, they were taken through plastic film and window glass.

She spends a quite a lot of time just resting (photo 3) when she is not actively feeding.

The fourth photo is a male Hairy Woodpecker, one that insists on swishing the sunflower seeds out of the feeder instead of using the suet feeder.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Birds at your feeders-pileated_woodpecker_2.jpg   Pictures of Birds at your feeders-pileated_woodpecker_1.jpg   Pictures of Birds at your feeders-pileated_woodpecker_4.jpg   Pictures of Birds at your feeders-hairy_woodpecker_1.jpg  
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

The bluebirds, goldfinches and the pileated are beautiful. You guys take such nice pictures.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
Heron

I love the pileated woodpecker too, great pics...

We have them in the woods, but they won't come up to the feeder. I've been thinking I should get one of the longer board feeders with the tail support... that might bring them closer.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Fox

Quote:
I love the pileated woodpecker too, great pics...

We have them in the woods, but they won't come up to the feeder. I've been thinking I should get one of the longer board feeders with the tail support... that might bring them closer.
Pretty much the same thing here. They don't come to our feeders, but they love the older trees in the neighborhood. I too want one of those feeders after seeing those shots.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Heron

Do you have a pattern for that feeder you'd be willing to share? Those are great pictures.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Heron

I don't have a pattern for them, but I've seen them at the Nature Center and at wild birds unlimited. Bascially its a suet cage feeder on a longer board so the long tailed woodpeckers have more support (like on a tree)...

here is a picture of one at wild birds unlimited... I am sure it would be easy to make something similar, for those handy-people out there...

http://www.shopwbu.com/product/part_...06.25753.0.0.0
Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #20
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
The bluebirds, goldfinches and the pileated are beautiful. You guys take such nice pictures.
I just wanted to say something in regards to goldfinches. In the last two weeks the goldfinches here in the Charleston are of SC are starting to show more and more yellow. It's amazing the changes that are happening in a matter of days.

Tags
bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird species, birdfeeder, birds, blue birds, cardinals, chickadee, feeder, feeders, feeding birds, feeding the birds, grosbeak, photos, pictures