Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Could It Have Been a Bald Eagle?!

Today, I went on a 2-mile walk to a bridge that is about a mile from my home. In past years, I've seen a blue heron there on occasion. Today, I looked down over the stream and saw a large bird flying away from me. The most conspicuous thing other than size was the white triangular shaped tail. I never saw the head, but something in my mind clicked making me think I may have been watching a bald eagle. I checked my bird book and see that the bald eagle does have a white tail.

Is there something else it could have been?

I have no picture of it, but I did take a picture of the stream afterwards...and then I opened Photoshop and added the basic shape and color that I saw...this is a *retouched* photo--and badly retouched at that--but I thought it might provide a visual of what I was trying to describe above.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'd be thrilled to know that they are around here...and hope to see one again!
Attached Thumbnails
Could It Have Been a Bald Eagle?!-retouched-eagle.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

It Definitely looks like an eagle... You're quite the artiste'

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
It Definitely looks like an eagle... You're quite the artiste'
I'm in awe--I've never seen a live bald eagle before--assuming that is what it was.

Psh-wa (or however you spell that dismissing sound)! Thank you...actually, I am an artist--haven't done anything in YEARS, but that is hardly an example of my skill.

...Using a shaky mouse on the computer doesn't lend itself to a masterpiece.

Could if have been something else with that white tail? At first I was thinking shore bird, then I thought eagle!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Noooo shore birds are small unless you're talking herons-egrits up in the U.P. anyway....They'd be grey or all white though.
Check this link out... Browse for a bird by name and shape, All About Birds, Cornell Lab ofOrnithology
It's real easy to use.. If you click onto the bird it pulls you into another screen showing male, female differences, its range, and even lists the other birds that are VERY similar. If you're still questioning its I.D. click onto those to compare.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Noooo shore birds are small unless you're talking herons-egrits up in the U.P. anyway....They'd be grey or all white though.
Check this link out... Browse for a bird by name and shape, All About Birds, Cornell Lab ofOrnithology
It's real easy to use.. If you click onto the bird it pulls you into another screen showing male, female differences, its range, and even lists the other birds that are VERY similar. If you're still questioning its I.D. click onto those to compare.
Thank you for the link, havalotta. I'll check it out.

I don't think I realized the size of it at first as it flew away I got more of an idea of the size as I realized how far away it was and how big it still was. I'm pretty sure it was a bald eagle, but I wanted confirmation.

I'm gonna check out your link now. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

If it was an eagle, I'd keep going back to that area. At this time of year there may be a good chance of seeing juvies. Ask around about any known eagle nests in your area.

What part of PA? I'm WNY.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
If it was an eagle, I'd keep going back to that area. At this time of year there may be a good chance of seeing juvies. Ask around about any known eagle nests in your area.

What part of PA? I'm WNY.
Thanks for the advice, I do plan to go back...but I wasn't thinking of nests. That would be exciting.

I'm in NE PA.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #8

In a few weeks we're driving down from buffalo to Jamestown for Roger Tory Peterson and other stuff and then to the Erie area for some other preserves. What areas do you recommend?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

bald eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Today, I went on a 2-mile walk to a bridge that is about a mile from my home. In past years, I've seen a blue heron there on occasion. Today, I looked down over the stream and saw a large bird flying away from me. The most conspicuous thing other than size was the white triangular shaped tail. I never saw the head, but something in my mind clicked making me think I may have been watching a bald eagle. I checked my bird book and see that the bald eagle does have a white tail.

Is there something else it could have been?

I have no picture of it, but I did take a picture of the stream afterwards...and then I opened Photoshop and added the basic shape and color that I saw...this is a *retouched* photo--and badly retouched at that--but I thought it might provide a visual of what I was trying to describe above.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'd be thrilled to know that they are around here...and hope to see one again!
It definitely does sound like you saw your first bald eagle! Congrats! I would not be surprised if you had a nesting pair nearby. Definitely keep going back to the same place and take note of the time. Birds tend to be creatures of habit!

I remember my first eagle sighting. What an amazing feeling of awe and amazement! I know people who live in Alaska and parts of Canada see them on a daily basis, but those of us down here still get excited by seeing them!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #10

Here's a juvie Bald Eagle, shortly after it fledged!

Could It Have Been a Bald Eagle?!-p1270429ed.jpg

Tags
bald, eagle