Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

duck Make Way For...

Ducklings!

Got a call from a woman last night around 9pm. She has a boat at Trump Marina, Atlantic City. She had two ducklings that followed them through the parking lot right up to her dock. I picked them up and now they are here at John's house, having fun in the pond! Aren't they so precious?!
Attached Thumbnails
Make Way For...-duckling1small.jpg   Make Way For...-duckling2small.jpg   Make Way For...-ducklings4small.jpg   Make Way For...-ducklings5small.jpg   Make Way For...-ducklings6small.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Sounds like they followed a person with good connections home.... as in YOU!!!! Oh God they're cute....
Old 06-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Ducklings!

Got a call from a woman last night around 9pm. She has a boat at Trump Marina, Atlantic City. She had two ducklings that followed them through the parking lot right up to her dock. I picked them up and now they are here at John's house, having fun in the pond! Aren't they so precious?!
They are adorable!

Lately, I've really been wanting to add a water feature--I can't believe it has taken me this long...My big project will have to wait, but I'll have to add *something* SOON! This just makes me want it more!

Maybe I won't have ducklings, but I'd love to attact even more birds than I already have.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

You do not want to have ducks or waterfowl in your pond. We had three domestic ducks and they took over the pond last summer. They also ate EVERY BUG they could get their beaks on! Not what we wanted for the yard AT ALL. We found someone to adopt them and they now have the run of a farm.

btw, We are not keeping the ducklings, I am just keeping them until I can get them to the rescue person who will raise and release them.
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
You do not want to have ducks or waterfowl in your pond. We had three domestic ducks and they took over the pond last summer. They also ate EVERY BUG they could get their beaks on! Not what we wanted for the yard AT ALL. We found someone to adopt them and they now have the run of a farm.

btw, We are not keeping the ducklings, I am just keeping them until I can get them to the rescue person who will raise and release them.
I didn't mean to imply that I wanted ducks--yes they are cute, but I know that they are very messy/dirty. I didn't realize they'd eat all the bugs they could find. Definitely not for a small backyard area.

Now, if they were to show up on their own, I'm not sure what I'd do. (but, I don't even have a pond yet!)

I *am* trying to plan for visits from herons--I want to make sure they cannot penetrate the liner causing leaks. My plan is to use large rocks on the bottom--I can hear Equilibrium furiously typing a reply with emphatic "NO!s" warning me against the use of rocks. ~smile~
Old 06-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

awwwwww How cute. We have mallards that a neighbor gave us. They'll hang around a while, and then for mating season they go back to the neighbor's pond. Later in the season they start visiting our pond again. This week I saw a female and 5 babies in my yard heading toward our pond. And 4 adults fly in to visit our pond in the evenings.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
awwwwww How cute. We have mallards that a neighbor gave us. They'll hang around a while, and then for mating season they go back to the neighbor's pond. Later in the season they start visiting our pond again. This week I saw a female and 5 babies in my yard heading toward our pond. And 4 adults fly in to visit our pond in the evenings.

That might be the best of both worlds--having them visit, but not stick around to mess everything up. Same with a heron, I'd be thrilled to see it, but hate to see it destroy everything.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

All of the talk about ponds on here lately finally got me out there digging! ...Well, that and wanting to see all of the birds in the yard come to visit...and bring their fledglings. Well, I'm not building the streambed and the pond just yet, just a glorified birdbath that I can rework into my pond later.

It will be too small for ducks to stay anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Make Way For...-pond-birdbath-053.jpg   Make Way For...-pond-birdbath-045.jpg   Make Way For...-pond-birdbath-064.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Lungwort

They are soo sweet bridget! Looks like they are enjoying their visit.

Love the pics of your "glorified birdbath" dapjwy. It looks like the stone was found on you property. I bet it'll look really great when you finish. I've been thinking of adding a small water feature for the wildlife in my yard as well. I hope you post more pics of your project when you finish! I'm very jealous of your beautiful stone.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
They are soo sweet bridget! Looks like they are enjoying their visit.

Love the pics of your "glorified birdbath" dapjwy. It looks like the stone was found on you property. I bet it'll look really great when you finish. I've been thinking of adding a small water feature for the wildlife in my yard as well. I hope you post more pics of your project when you finish! I'm very jealous of your beautiful stone.

Yes, all of the stones are from my property...I'm very lucky to have so many to choose from. I just wish I could find more that will match what you see pictured...I want to make sure it has a cohesive look.

I *love* rocks and boulders and believe it or not they were on my list while searching for a house and land.

I'll have to start my own thread so as not to go any more off topic here. There are a LOT of rounded stone that will be added to the eventual streambed. I'm guessing that a glacier deposited the well worn stones; I find them in the soil as I dig as well

I want it to look as natural as possible. I'm sure I'll post more pictures. Thank you so much for you vote of confidence.

Oh, and bridget...I relinquish your thread topic back to you, Oh Queen Monarch!

Tags
baby bird, baby ducks, bird, bird photo, birds, bug, bugs, domestic ducks, duck, duck photo, duck rescue, duckling, duckling photo, ducklings, make, photo, pond, ponds, raise, release, rescue, water feature, waterfowl