Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #61
Salamander

Default Indigo and Painted Buntings

Okay I confess I think painted buntings are a bit gaudy but I always get a thrill when I see them. This little guy hung out at the feeder long enough for me to get the camera. Sorry it's not the best pic, but you can see him there along with his indigo bunting buddies (I do love those guys). They're eating white proso millet. They really love the grass seeds, too.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you have at your birdfeeders?-buntings-01-small.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #62
Unicellular Fungi

Painted buntings are not not gaudy. That is a life bird for me. That is a bird I would like to see before I die. You are so lucky to have them at your feeder.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #63
Salamander

This is the first one I've ever seen at a feeder. Can you see how his back almost seems to glow? They nested where I used to live (old cow pasture with the fencelines grown up with brush & trees) - they loved bahia grass seeds, and I left most of my 1.6 acres unmowed (for the birds, bugs, critters, and for me) so I'd see them occasionally. I still feel VERY lucky when I see them. This one was a shock. If you'd heard me yelling for my husband to come quick, come quick, you'd know I'm not taking him casually. :-) If you ever come this way, let me know, and I'll try to put you in touch with a painted bunting. The first one I saw was on a birdwatching trip, in a cotton field. I almost fell out of the car window.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #64
Salamander

Default Summer Tananger

This is from last summer. This little guy eats bugs - he does not belong at my bird feeder (not that I complained) but I saw him there about 4 times that summer. He nested about 30 feet up in the sweetgum tree.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you have at your birdfeeders?-summer-tananger-1-small.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #65
Salamander

Default Caught in the act

Okay, I'm bad. This isn't at my birdfeeder. (Sorry!) It's at my cat feeder. This is Katie, who's been naughty and climbed the obstacle course to get to the cat food, then managed to get stuck up there. She had to bark for me to help her down. Caught in the act, LOL. Note the cat on the floor. Wonder what she's thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
What do you have at your birdfeeders?-caught-act-small.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #66
Unicellular Fungi

Another bird I would love to see.

Dogs on tables and cats in boxes?

Tags
bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird species, birdfeeders, birds, blue jays, cardinals, cedar waxwings, chickadees, doves, feeding birds, feeding the birds, finches, indigo buntings, mourning doves, northern flickers, nuthatches, prothonotary warbler, purple finches, redpolls, titmice, turkey, warbler, woodpecker