Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #21
Big Fat juicy WORM

ROFLMAO.....well, unless you let strangers come snooping in your condo, I doubt they'll even know the worms are there. And yes I do do vermicomposting and keep my tubs in a spare bedroom. Hope to have some decent pictures this weekend. Btw, worm poo, does not smell like fecal material, it smell like rich earth. What you would do with the worm poo, I don't know since you aren't gardening, but it's great for houseplants.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Grub

Default Great Backyard Bird Count is this weekend!

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

The Cornell School of Ornithology & National Audubon cosponsor this event. You just plan to count birds for at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the count, Feb. 13-16, and turn in the results online. If you watch the birds to begin with, this is icing on the cake.

trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

I have never participated before. I'll do it. Are you going to do it?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #24
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I have never participated before. I'll do it. Are you going to do it?
Yep! Were you able to? I also discovered something: that I have both white and red breasted nuthatches. I didn't know both kinds existed! After checking my field guide, I saw that a 3rd kind exists farther south: brownheaded nuthatches! I also enter what I see on http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ which is cool because I can keep my own records plus see what everyone else in the same county is seeing. The site is sponsored by the Cornell School of Ornithology so it's safe and it's for anyone from major birders to casual ones like me. I'm not good at navigating sites but that that site is user friendly.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
Grub

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
At the feeder I have goldfinches, pine siskins, titmice, carolina chickadees, cardinals, occasional red-headed & red-belled woodpeckers, mourning doves, chipping and white-throated sparrows, a pair of house finches, carolina wrens, and occasional rufous-sided towhees and red-winged blackbirds. Unfortunately today I had a pair of brown-headed cowbirds. :-(

And squirrels. Too many squirrels. My feeder is situated where baffles are useless, so I have lots of fat squirrels. One of the little beasties drowned in the swimming pool. :-( I found it in the skimmer today when I went to clean out fallen leaves -- ugg! Ran my arm into a garbage bag, pulled the dead squirrel out, inverted the bag, and thought I had solves the problem. But I still had to get the leaves out of the skimmer ... in water full of dead squirrel germs. So I got another plastic bag, covered my hand & arm to the armpit, and reached down into the skimmer, scooping out handfulls of leaves. I was doing fine until somewhere near the bottom of the skimmer (I was up to my armpit) a terrified bullfrog came leaping out and right up into my t-shirt. Hopped right back out, but he scared the heck out of me, and now I had dead squirrel bacteria water all over my arm and shirt. EEeeeewwwww!!! I'm not normally a squeemish female, but that was gross. (My story for the day.) It would probably have made a funny video, though.
Wow, that's quite a story! You kept your sense of humor, good for you.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #26
Unicellular Fungi

Cardinals, Jays, chickadee, sparrow, goldfinches, blackbirds, doves, the occasional crow, squirrels rabbits, and deer
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
Big Fat juicy WORM

Doves, catbirds, cardinals, crows, wrens. Squirrel, rabbits, deer and a couple of red fox. So far.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #28
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Lots more Siskins here this year. There's been a pair (?) of mockingbirds eating the suet, something I never noticed before.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
Unicellular Fungi

I always thought worms in the garden were a good thing, but just last year, found out that they are non-native invasives in MN deturbing hardwood forest undergrowth (duff).... who knew ?!?
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives...rms/index.html
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #30
Administrator

All worms are non-native anywhere our land was once glaciated.

Glad you joined Lupine. You'll find like-minded in this thread- Vermicomposting-Worm Farming

Tags
bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird species, birdfeeders, birds, blue jays, cardinals, cedar waxwings, chickadees, doves, feeding birds, feeding the birds, finches, indigo buntings, mourning doves, northern flickers, nuthatches, prothonotary warbler, purple finches, redpolls, titmice, turkey, warbler, woodpecker