Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Question Hummingbird feeder question!

I got a beautiful Smith and Hawken red glass hummingbird feeder, like this

Hummingbird feeder question!-41txyqnjbul._aa260_.jpg

Since we're on the 2nd floor, it has to get hung from the balcony. When the afternoon sun heats it up, it leaks. This is why I gave away my last feeder. So, is there any way to use this feeder on the balcony?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

It's really beautiful. Is there anyway you can return it and get your money back then buy one of the cheap ones that are designed better? Those plugs that are set up like a hamster water bottle never stay put. The screw in bottom ones with the ports don't leak on me and neither does the brand humzinger. Humzingers look like mini space ships and have multiple ports. These really fancy hand blown ones I get as gifts always leak on me... sun or no sun. I throw my hands up at them. Any of the cheap plastic ones that screw in the bottom that you can get at hardware stores work and here's a humzinger HummZinger Hummingbird Feeders. Don't get a humzinger that suction cups to a window.... they stop staying stuck to the window after one season.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Oh, poo! I got it in early spring - no receipt now...

We hung it in the kitchen after Roger put the plug in better and it didn't leak so we put it outside but the heat or sun must cause a change in pressure forcing the water out. I guess I'll have to try hanging it farther into the balcony. If that doesn't work, I guess I have another pretty ornament!

I'll look for hummzingers and thank you, I should have asked first, but it was so pretty!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I've tried buying new plugs from home depot and no matter what I did they leaked. Sometimes it took a while for them to start leaking but they always leaked. The other problem I had with them is that sometimes I'd hang them up and the whole plug would come out and all the sugar water would splash on me right down to my shoes. I hate cleaning up anything sugary. You could be worse off.... yours could have been a gift that you have to hang up so somebody doesn't get miffed. If it doesn't work for you at least you can drop it off at GoodWill and call it a day if you want since you bought it yourself. Those humzingers are the rage if you can spend $30. I don't think they last any longer than the elcheapo plastic ones but they really draw in the hummers and there's not as much fighting at those feeders like there is at other feeders because of the spacing of the ports. No leakage either.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #5

I'll get a Hummzinger this weekend!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Salamander

This isn't what you asked for, but. . .
One of our neighbors has a lovely big Lonicera sempervirens growing on her second floor deck in a container.
If you have space, consider growing some favorite hummingbird nectar plants--you don't have to clean them or refill them, just water regularly!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

That's an excellent suggestion but.... I think she's got a Lonicera in a pot.... don't you Sage?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

a...what does it look like? Do you see it in my balcony pix?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #9

I just looked it up. Looks sort of familiar but then I've been in and out of nurseries lately.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Ha! Made you look....made you look. I screwed up. You had a trumpet vine in a pot not a trumpet honeysuckle. Oopsie.... I got the trumpet part right. The trumpet vine was the one you watered and stuck in storage then pulled out this spring that's taking off like a weed. I was thinking the closet plant was a honeysuckle but it wasn't. If you REALLY want a jungle out there..... you'd find a spot for one more potted plant and you should try her Lonicera sempervirens idea. They're a great plant!!! Did you get your humzinger yet? You're gonna love that humzinger.

Tags
bird feeder, bird feeders, feeder, feeding birds, feeding hummingbirds, hummers, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, hummingbird feeders, hummingbirds, hummzinger, hummzinger feeder, hummzingers, lonicera, lonicera sempervirens, question, sempervirens