Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Fox
 
Bulucanagria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S. Grafton, Massachusetts
Default My Northern Mockingbird Family

I have been enjoying this pair (I believe they're the same) for about three years now and I've enjoyed their antics immensely. Sometimes their calls can be a bit aggravating, but then I just turn up the music and it's all good. This pair, having intimidated everything else in the neighborhood have taken to sitting outside the windows and harassing all the indoor cats that they can see. What a show!
I knew there was a nest somewhere near the top of my neighbor's huge Blue Spruce, but couldn't get a glimpse of it. Finally today, I heard the call of at least one baby and then saw some movement. Binocs showed me the baby venturing to the edge of his little world and checking out the rest of the planet, soon to be his to explore.
Is it any wonder that I watch very little TV?

Some of these pics aren't partricularly clear (especially of baby) but I include them anyway as the best example I have of that particular behavior or subject.
My Northern Mockingbird Family-mock1.jpgMy Northern Mockingbird Family-mock2.jpgMy Northern Mockingbird Family-mock3.jpgMy Northern Mockingbird Family-baby1.jpgMy Northern Mockingbird Family-baby2.jpg
__________________
BULUCANAGRIA'S FLICKR
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
I have been enjoying this pair (I believe they're the same) for about three years now and I've enjoyed their antics immensely. Sometimes their calls can be a bit aggravating, but then I just turn up the music and it's all good. This pair, having intimidated everything else in the neighborhood have taken to sitting outside the windows and harassing all the indoor cats that they can see. What a show!
I knew there was a nest somewhere near the top of my neighbor's huge Blue Spruce, but couldn't get a glimpse of it. Finally today, I heard the call of at least one baby and then saw some movement. Binocs showed me the baby venturing to the edge of his little world and checking out the rest of the planet, soon to be his to explore.
Is it any wonder that I watch very little TV?

Some of these pics aren't partricularly clear (especially of baby) but I include them anyway as the best example I have of that particular behavior or subject.
Attachment 16730Attachment 16731Attachment 16732Attachment 16733Attachment 16734
In my teen years we had a mockingbird in our yard. I used to videotape it singing. Here in my yard, we've had a catbird for the past 2 years. Its cries are much more annoying, but it is still fun to have him around.

Your pictures look great, and I love the story about it teasing the cats! I'd love to watch that...and our cats would probably get into it too.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Fox
 
Bulucanagria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S. Grafton, Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Your pictures look great, and I love the story about it teasing the cats! I'd love to watch that...and our cats would probably get into it too.
I'll have to figure out how to post to YouTube so I can link the video here. It is fun!
__________________
BULUCANAGRIA'S FLICKR
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
WG Writer
 
hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greensboro, Alabama USA
Default

You can listen to the song of mockingbirds here:

Bird Songs and Sound of Northern Mockingbird

They sound so happy!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
You can listen to the song of mockingbirds here:

Bird Songs and Sound of Northern Mockingbird

They sound so happy!

Thanks for the link. It was cool to hear...AND it got my restless cat to shut up for a bit...then she began exploring all around the desk to see where the bird could be!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thanks for the link. It was cool to hear...AND it got my restless cat to shut up for a bit...then she began exploring all around the desk to see where the bird could be!
Now her sister got into it and started searching nearby. I finally turned it off 'cause I felt like I was teasing them.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Fox
 
Bulucanagria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S. Grafton, Massachusetts
Default

My first try at video embedding of my first ever YouTube vid. This is Harley being scolded by the Mockingbird. I apologise for the sound of the RedSox broadcast in the background. (I'm going to resist the urge to apologise for the way they're playing right now.)
__________________
BULUCANAGRIA'S FLICKR
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

I have a mockingbird near me that actually has a 'quack' as part of the bird songs he mimics. Really!! I have heard him for a few years now. (I am assuming it is the same bird.) I have watched them nest in my neighbor's yard for some time. I throw out old fruit for them in the garden. They gladly eat it up!
__________________
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

Love the video! I need to take the time and learn how to do this. Thanks for sharing! If that had been my cat, she would have been chattering up a storm! And lunging at the window screen! lol
__________________
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I have a mockingbird near me that actually has a 'quack' as part of the bird songs he mimics. Really!! I have heard him for a few years now. (I am assuming it is the same bird.) I have watched them nest in my neighbor's yard for some time. I throw out old fruit for them in the garden. They gladly eat it up!
I read once that mockingbirds will even mimic a squeaky fence door.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bird, bird photos, birds, family, mockingbird, mockingbird photos, mockingbird sounds, mockingbird video, mockingbirds, northern, northern mockingbird

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2