Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   My Northern Mockingbird Family (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/6142-my-northern-mockingbird-family.html)

Bulucanagria 05-17-2010 07:01 PM

My Northern Mockingbird Family

5 Attachment(s)
I have been enjoying this pair (I believe they're the same) for about three years now and I've enjoyed their antics immensely. Sometimes their calls can be a bit aggravating, but then I just turn up the music and it's all good. This pair, having intimidated everything else in the neighborhood have taken to sitting outside the windows and harassing all the indoor cats that they can see. What a show!
I knew there was a nest somewhere near the top of my neighbor's huge Blue Spruce, but couldn't get a glimpse of it. Finally today, I heard the call of at least one baby and then saw some movement. Binocs showed me the baby venturing to the edge of his little world and checking out the rest of the planet, soon to be his to explore.
Is it any wonder that I watch very little TV?

Some of these pics aren't partricularly clear (especially of baby) but I include them anyway as the best example I have of that particular behavior or subject.
Attachment 16730Attachment 16731Attachment 16732Attachment 16733Attachment 16734

dapjwy 05-17-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulucanagria (Post 66760)
I have been enjoying this pair (I believe they're the same) for about three years now and I've enjoyed their antics immensely. Sometimes their calls can be a bit aggravating, but then I just turn up the music and it's all good. This pair, having intimidated everything else in the neighborhood have taken to sitting outside the windows and harassing all the indoor cats that they can see. What a show!
I knew there was a nest somewhere near the top of my neighbor's huge Blue Spruce, but couldn't get a glimpse of it. Finally today, I heard the call of at least one baby and then saw some movement. Binocs showed me the baby venturing to the edge of his little world and checking out the rest of the planet, soon to be his to explore.
Is it any wonder that I watch very little TV?

Some of these pics aren't partricularly clear (especially of baby) but I include them anyway as the best example I have of that particular behavior or subject.
Attachment 16730Attachment 16731Attachment 16732Attachment 16733Attachment 16734

In my teen years we had a mockingbird in our yard. I used to videotape it singing. Here in my yard, we've had a catbird for the past 2 years. Its cries are much more annoying, but it is still fun to have him around.

Your pictures look great, and I love the story about it teasing the cats! I'd love to watch that...and our cats would probably get into it too.

Bulucanagria 05-17-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 66771)
Your pictures look great, and I love the story about it teasing the cats! I'd love to watch that...and our cats would probably get into it too.

I'll have to figure out how to post to YouTube so I can link the video here. It is fun!

hazelnut 05-18-2010 08:40 AM

You can listen to the song of mockingbirds here:

Bird Songs and Sound of Northern Mockingbird

They sound so happy!

dapjwy 05-18-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 66809)
You can listen to the song of mockingbirds here:

Bird Songs and Sound of Northern Mockingbird

They sound so happy!

Thanks for the link. It was cool to hear...AND it got my restless cat to shut up for a bit...then she began exploring all around the desk to see where the bird could be!

dapjwy 05-18-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 66818)
Thanks for the link. It was cool to hear...AND it got my restless cat to shut up for a bit...then she began exploring all around the desk to see where the bird could be!

Now her sister got into it and started searching nearby. I finally turned it off 'cause I felt like I was teasing them. :)

Bulucanagria 05-18-2010 06:30 PM

My first try at video embedding of my first ever YouTube vid. This is Harley being scolded by the Mockingbird. I apologise for the sound of the RedSox broadcast in the background. (I'm going to resist the urge to apologise for the way they're playing right now.)

bridget1964 05-18-2010 07:58 PM

I have a mockingbird near me that actually has a 'quack' as part of the bird songs he mimics. Really!! I have heard him for a few years now. (I am assuming it is the same bird.) I have watched them nest in my neighbor's yard for some time. I throw out old fruit for them in the garden. They gladly eat it up!

bridget1964 05-18-2010 08:00 PM

Love the video! I need to take the time and learn how to do this. Thanks for sharing! If that had been my cat, she would have been chattering up a storm! And lunging at the window screen! lol

dapjwy 05-21-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bridget1964 (Post 66829)
I have a mockingbird near me that actually has a 'quack' as part of the bird songs he mimics. Really!! I have heard him for a few years now. (I am assuming it is the same bird.) I have watched them nest in my neighbor's yard for some time. I throw out old fruit for them in the garden. They gladly eat it up!

I read once that mockingbirds will even mimic a squeaky fence door.