Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #71
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
...here is a post by Linrose from a few days ago where he suspects house wrens of killing his bluebird chicks.
FYI, jack, I always thought linrose was female...although there is nothing in her (?) profile to state this. ~smile~
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #72
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
FYI, jack, I always thought linrose was female...although there is nothing in her (?) profile to state this. ~smile~
That would be a surprise to me! I was certain he's a he~~~

Maybe he/she will reveal it??
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #73
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
That would be a surprise to me! I was certain he's a he~~~

Maybe he/she will reveal it??
~smile~

I'm hoping...unless , linrose wants it to remain a mystery (hope not).
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #74
Salamander
 
fishlkmich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Hi Mark,

I will get my handy neighbor to look at the wren deterrent designs and see if we can't come up with something suggested there - next year. As to the killing of chicks by HOWR, here is a post by Linrose from a few days ago where he suspects house wrens of killing his bluebird chicks.

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...html#post91630

Have you taken any pictures of your bluebird trail? I'd like to live vicariously through your successes.

BTW, as I type this, the wren is singing outside my window.... I found it interesting that the article you referred me to stated that in Eastern Mass (where I'm located) there is a large amount of chickadee predation going on by House Wrens and that their numbers appear to be proliferating.

Thanks for all of the info.

jack
Jack,

You and I seem to have something in common - bad luck! Think of the wrens as a challenge. Really, they shouldn't be as bad as the HOSP were to beat.

My remote purple martin colony and bluebird trail is in a fenced in drainage area for a local school system. It's about 3/4 of an acre. I break one rule and have 14 bluebird boxes in this area. There are so many house sparrows and tree swallows that I run more houses than is suggested. Saturday I had over 50 tree swallow eggs in 11 nests. One female won't leave her box and let me count her eggs. Four bluebirds have fledged and my first four house finches fledged from a gourd, just as the martins were showing up. I had 36 purple martin eggs on Saturday in 13 nests. I only have 29 possible martin nests so far this year. Unless they all produce young and I get a few more nests, I won't get more than 100 young to fledge this year. Last year was the first time that this site has done that well, so getting close should be fine. I started removing HOSP in early March this year. I have removed a few each week, on average. Getting an early start and keeping at it has helped this year.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bluebird Trail 2010 - CAUTION GRAPHIC!-00093.jpg  
__________________
www.michiganmartins.com
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #75
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Jack,

You and I seem to have something in common - bad luck! Think of the wrens as a challenge. Really, they shouldn't be as bad as the HOSP were to beat.

My remote purple martin colony and bluebird trail is in a fenced in drainage area for a local school system. It's about 3/4 of an acre. I break one rule and have 14 bluebird boxes in this area. There are so many house sparrows and tree swallows that I run more houses than is suggested. Saturday I had over 50 tree swallow eggs in 11 nests. One female won't leave her box and let me count her eggs. Four bluebirds have fledged and my first four house finches fledged from a gourd, just as the martins were showing up. I had 36 purple martin eggs on Saturday in 13 nests. I only have 29 possible martin nests so far this year. Unless they all produce young and I get a few more nests, I won't get more than 100 young to fledge this year. Last year was the first time that this site has done that well, so getting close should be fine. I started removing HOSP in early March this year. I have removed a few each week, on average. Getting an early start and keeping at it has helped this year.
Wow, that's an impressive bird house trail. Did you erect some of those? I know you maintain them. That is dedication!!!

This year is a bust for nesting now. I'll think up something for next year. Keep those pictures coming. I've never seen a trail like that. You must know those bird species and their habits quite well. How much time do you dedicate to it??
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #76
Salamander
 
fishlkmich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

Thanks Jack,

Those two old aluminum houses were put up close to 35 years ago by a WWII vet. They are the only reason that a colony started and continued there until I found it. There is not another known martin colony for about 30 miles in any direction. I put the other three houses up and visit the site once or twice per week 40~ miles one way. I have also replaced the bluebird boxes and poles.

It's like anything else. When you do it in the beginning you make mistakes and have a lot of questions. Your questions get answered and you learn from your mistakes. The knowledge benefits the birds and makes the work easier. There are always new things to learn and surprises along the way. I had no idea what the day old finches were when I found them this year. Never saw a house finch nest before. I love to learn new things and this hobby provides that and more. There are good days and bad days. The bad days usually come when you lose birds. I always put more in the air than what I lose, by far now. So, the good days come far more frequently than the bad ones.

I'll take the camera along on the next trip and get some educational photos to post.

Mark
__________________
www.michiganmartins.com
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #77
Great Horned Owl
 
jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeastern MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Thanks Jack,

Those two old aluminum houses were put up close to 35 years ago by a WWII vet. They are the only reason that a colony started and continued there until I found it. There is not another known martin colony for about 30 miles in any direction. I put the other three houses up and visit the site once or twice per week 40~ miles one way. I have also replaced the bluebird boxes and poles.

It's like anything else. When you do it in the beginning you make mistakes and have a lot of questions. Your questions get answered and you learn from your mistakes. The knowledge benefits the birds and makes the work easier. There are always new things to learn and surprises along the way. I had no idea what the day old finches were when I found them this year. Never saw a house finch nest before. I love to learn new things and this hobby provides that and more. There are good days and bad days. The bad days usually come when you lose birds. I always put more in the air than what I lose, by far now. So, the good days come far more frequently than the bad ones.

I'll take the camera along on the next trip and get some educational photos to post.

Mark
It sounds like the population of some more or less endangered species have benefitted greatly from your dedication. I am impressed and inspired!

You allowed, of course, the house finches to continue nesting? They are one of my favorite species and, though I had them here before I was invaded by HOSPs, since I have them under control, the house finches have returned. They have always appeared to be gentle birds with great personalities - and beauty! Without doubt, my favorite alien species!

I look forward to seeing the pictures you promise to post. I think you have something going there that we would all enjoy and benefit from, incluiding your experiences and knowledge.

Jack
__________________
"Know thyself."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #78
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
I always put more in the air than what I lose, by far now.
Mark,

That is great...and a great way to look at it.

Great job. Thanks for sharing. We look forward to more photos and stories.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2010, bird, bird eggs, birds, blue birds, bluebird, caution, eliminate house sparrows, graphic, hosp, hosp trap, house sparow, house sparrow, house sparrows, martins, nesting, nests, purple martin, purple martin housing, purple martins, trail, trap house sparrows, tree swallows

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2