Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #51
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Sorry, but I think that's pretty funny, Jack! It's one of the benefits that we get from being close to nature. Your idea of placing preferred food near the trap should work well. Your new buddy should provide a sense of security for you targets, as well. Sounds like you are getting the hang of how to make that trap work for you - fantastic!
I wish! When I awoke he had taken all of the cache I had reserved for him and then eaten all of the millet!!!!

He has begun camping out waiting for his handout. I think for now I may be defeated on this...

Of course, he does hibernate. Maybe I'll need to wait for Winter??

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #52
Great Horned Owl

RIP

Well, there's certainly nothing like success to quell the blues. Convinced this morning that the chipmunk had defeated my plans, I decided to give the trap one last try in a slightly elevated position on the built-in seating of my outside deck. I baited it at about 4 pm and just glanced outside to see three female HOSPS caught. They are no longer with us...

So, that makes a total of nine in four days. I MUST be making inroads into that flock that frequents the property??? Well, here's hoping that soon this activity won't be a daily thing. I'll never get comfortable with it, but these guys have wreaked havoc on what used to be a haven for tree swallows (which I don't even see anymore around here) and bluebirds.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #53
Salamander

Jack,

You will see the results. Be sure to eliminate any nesting sites in the area that you can. Some bluebird houses with in box traps might help you next spring. When they begin nesting they are easy to trap and the boxes would help to let you know if any native birds are moving back to the area. Great work!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #54
Great Horned Owl

chipmunk

Okay, so this is my first attempt at posting a picture...

As I've been pretty much stymied in my trapping by a chipmunk, I decided to place the trap atop an overturned trash container. I just did this an hour ago, so are no results to report yet.

I hope that chipmunk can't jump!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bluebird Trail 2010 - CAUTION GRAPHIC!-img_0829.jpg  

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #55
Salamander

Nice yard! The chipmunk can't get to the trap, but you may have to pre-bait the top(bottom) of the trash can, so that the HOSP get used to feeding on a new feature. They are extremely smart and wary, as you may be learning. If you don't trap any right away, I'd put seed out until you have good numbers coming in and then place the trap again.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #56
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Nice yard! The chipmunk can't get to the trap, but you may have to pre-bait the top(bottom) of the trash can, so that the HOSP get used to feeding on a new feature. They are extremely smart and wary, as you may be learning. If you don't trap any right away, I'd put seed out until you have good numbers coming in and then place the trap again.
I thought of that but now have both red and gray squirrels and the chipmunk coming by to see what they can score from my experiment. Anytime I bait where they can get to, they scoff up the seeds and bolt.

I have seeds atop the cage on the sections where there's more than cage metal, and I've got the small exposed sections at the top of the barrel filled with millet. I'm patient. Funny, I filled the bird bath as I always do daily, and the first taker was a female HOSP. If she only knew...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #57
Great Horned Owl

Yesterday at this time the count of captured was 10. This morning it is 19. Nine were in the trap this A.M.

One noteworthy fact - all nineteen have been females...

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #58
Salamander

Great numbers! Are you able to tell the adults from the juveniles? Juvenile males don't have a pronounced "beard". Since the females do the reproduction, I'd be pleased to keep trapping females!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #59
Fox

Good job Jack. I'm sure that there are a lot of native birds that are extremely grateful for your efforts.

And from someone that thinks that our native birds can use all the help that they can get - Thank You!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #60
Official Plant Nerd

Way to go Jack!!! You've been a busy busy busy beaver!!!

Tags
2010, bird, bird eggs, birds, blue birds, bluebird, caution, eliminate house sparrows, graphic, hosp, hosp trap, house sparow, house sparrow, house sparrows, martins, nesting, nests, purple martin, purple martin housing, purple martins, trail, trap house sparrows, tree swallows