Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #31
Great Horned Owl

RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
The quickest and easiest way for the bird is cervical dislocation. This is usually difficult for "softies". It is considered humane. CO2 is also considered humane. It can be delivered to the inside of a cooler that the trap fits in by tank, or adding dry ice after the trap is placed inside. You can place the trap inside of an air tight plastic bag and spray engine starting fluid (pure ether) in the bag. They go to sleep and don't wake up. This is not listed as legally humane, but I believe that anyone would consider it so. The easiest way would be to fill up a spare garbage can with water and drop the trap in. Drowning is not considered humane, but death usually occurs as quickly as many other methods and quicker than CO2.

Good luck! It may not be pleasant, but you protect native birds by controlling house sparrows and you can eliminate the majority of them from a small area, which would provide native birds a safe haven.
Thanks. Not a pleasant subject, indeed, but something needs to be done here. I'll probably do the water route. Ahh, what is the cervical dislocation process?
I haven't received the trap yet. I'll post my progress when I get it.

Thanks again!
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Cervical dislocation is a "socially acceptable" term for breaking the neck, Step three: Do it - Cervical dislocation and Senior Vice President for Research - Research Protections - Animal Research (IACUC) - Policies, Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) - IACUC Guideline XV. You would REALLY need someone whose been taught how to do it to teach you. YouTube and Instructables will fail you. I hate to say it but there is a right way and there is a wrong way and hands on experience is the best teacher. Most members of Audubon who know how would be willing to teach you. They have the patience of saints and will stand by you until you have the confidence to do it yourself. If you never acquire the confidence.... they will not make you feel like a failure. You will probably be started out on dead birds. I was trained how to do it on larger birds. Mute swans to be exact. I never was trained on smaller birds. No point to the exercise for me.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #33
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Cervical dislocation is a "socially acceptable" term for breaking the neck, Step three: Do it - Cervical dislocation and Senior Vice President for Research - Research Protections - Animal Research (IACUC) - Policies, Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) - IACUC Guideline XV. You would REALLY need someone whose been taught how to do it to teach you. YouTube and Instructables will fail you. I hate to say it but there is a right way and there is a wrong way and hands on experience is the best teacher. Most members of Audubon who know how would be willing to teach you. They have the patience of saints and will stand by you until you have the confidence to do it yourself. If you never acquire the confidence.... they will not make you feel like a failure. You will probably be started out on dead birds. I was trained how to do it on larger birds. Mute swans to be exact. I never was trained on smaller birds. No point to the exercise for me.
No point - you mean because of the alternative methods?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #34
Salamander

"No point" because she is an official member of the "softie" team, as well. It took years of seeing the trail of death that house sparrows leave, for me to be become numb to the process. It was a choice between house sparrows and the native birds that I am trying to help. The choice was clear to me and I don't have someone else to do it for me.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #35
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
"No point" because she is an official member of the "softie" team, as well. It took years of seeing the trail of death that house sparrows leave, for me to be become numb to the process. It was a choice between house sparrows and the native birds that I am trying to help. The choice was clear to me and I don't have someone else to do it for me.
I easily understand how one can be a "softie." The idea of wringing a sparrows neck is difficult to grasp, but I have seen first hand the damage wrought on bluebird fledglings and adult tree swallows.

Nevertheless, dipping the trap in a tank of water sounds one step removed from the act of wringing a neck. I know I'll opt for that method and then bury the remains. First time will likely be stressful. Hopefully the logic of the act will swallow quickly the emotional aspect and it will then become somewhat routine.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #36
Salamander

6/17 - Good day!

Haven't figured out what belongs where, but tree swallows have renested (AGAIN - LATE) and purple martins have completed nests in empty compartments and started egg laying. May have SY martins, or renesting after storms. Have about four young bluebirds, 31 young tree swallows and new nests with eggs. Purple martin numbers are 82 young and 38 eggs. With new martin nests this late, it will be the latest season that I've had for the last fledge date. Will have martins leaving the nest in August. Eggs and nests were started late, even though we had a very warm spring. I am trying to get them to read the same books that I read.

I did not see a house sparrow today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #37
Official Plant Nerd

We still have free reign to make our own decisions about how we manage the non-native life forms on our properties and whether we steward our land or just give it curb appeal. We live in a country where freedom of choice is basically an entitlement. But…. we're not really free to make our own decisions…. for every action there is a reaction so therefore although we're free to make decisions, we aren’t really doing much more than choosing from reasonably foreseeable consequences. Let a feral cat or HOSP go free because emotionally we can’t find a way to deal with it and we know what the consequences will be…. it will kill again and again and again. It’s my personal decision to keep plugging along cleaning up my property. That includes removing stray and feral cats, HOSPs, and EUSTs. No…. I don’t destroy them because I’m a “weak weenie” but…. I do trap and I do make sure they’re destroyed NEVER set free to wreak havoc in the environment whittling away at our native species that haven’t evolved to survive… let alone thrive in their presence without our help. I hope others follow suit doing what they can to make sure HOSPs are humanely destroyed somehow someway but I don’t expect everyone to care or….. to have experienced enough to be motivated to do something. I know we don’t live in a bubble and what I do or don’t do has an effect on others either directly or indirectly just as what others do…. or don’t do affects me. I’ve seen what happens when somebody chooses “hands off” thanks to the HOSP hotels and cheap seed my neighbors offer. HOSPs wiped out my wood ducks and my screech owls. It's not just bluebirds and purple martins they kill. All I can do is hope everyone who knows the score chooses to do something…. anything…. because ultimately choosing to do nothing…. means we’re deciding the fate of countless cavity nesters. An entire continent dominated by rats, cats, pigs, and HOSPs isn’t exactly my vision of loveliness so... I do what I can and that’s reporting the location of mute swans and trapping HOSPs and EUSTs on my property. It’s the best I can do as a “weak weenie” but no HOSP ending up in one of my traps lives to fly off and annihilate any blue bird eggs or purple martin nestlings or screech owl babies in a tree cavity 3 properties down from mine. Not bad for a card carrying “softie” IMHO.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #38
Great Horned Owl

RIP

I received the trap yesterday and immediately set it up and left for the day. When I returned there was nothing. This morning, however, when I arose there were two female Hosps caught. I dispatched of them (water way) and hope for more such results daily. I was hoping for males, but I was pleased to see two caught on the very first day.

i didn't like the dispatching of them, but looked at it as just one of those things...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #39
Salamander

Nice start! I believe that you purchased the three compartment repeating trap, right? I don't know if they sent tips, but pre-baiting an area with milo, millet, cracked corn . . . (cheap stuff) helps a bunch. If you regularly feed birds, they are already accustomed to the feeding area. Small white feathers attract them like magnets. A retired WWII vet that I know gets at least a dozen a day with one of those traps. I hope that the process becomes easier for you. It should pay off and you should start to see results soon. I have eliminated HOSP from my bluebird trail and martin housing for the season. It starts again next spring.

Sunday (6/20) I had four young bluebirds, tree swallow eggs and young, with many tree swallows fledging, 101 young martins and 29 martin eggs. Blow fly should start to be my biggest problem, soon.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #40
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Nice start! I believe that you purchased the three compartment repeating trap, right? I don't know if they sent tips, but pre-baiting an area with milo, millet, cracked corn . . . (cheap stuff) helps a bunch. If you regularly feed birds, they are already accustomed to the feeding area. Small white feathers attract them like magnets. A retired WWII vet that I know gets at least a dozen a day with one of those traps. I hope that the process becomes easier for you. It should pay off and you should start to see results soon. I have eliminated HOSP from my bluebird trail and martin housing for the season. It starts again next spring.

Sunday (6/20) I had four young bluebirds, tree swallow eggs and young, with many tree swallows fledging, 101 young martins and 29 martin eggs. Blow fly should start to be my biggest problem, soon.
I got the trap with the u-shaped wire that allows birds to perch on it and see beyond the floating arm to a cache of seeds. The floating arm, however, cannot support their weight when they step on to it, and when they do, they are lowered to the holding compartment where their only choice is to go into it. I have another cache of seeds in that holding compartment along with a cup of water.

Whereas yesterday, the first day, yielded two birds, today I got none.

Tags
2010, bird, bird eggs, birds, blue birds, bluebird, caution, eliminate house sparrows, graphic, hosp, hosp trap, house sparow, house sparrow, house sparrows, martins, nesting, nests, purple martin, purple martin housing, purple martins, trail, trap house sparrows, tree swallows