Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 AM   #51
WG Operations, Facilitator

Sage,
Your saga of documenting the nesting peregrine falcon parents and babies is just awesome. I feel so lucky to watch the story unfold in this thread which you have been updating.

I never knew the baby chicks were little fuzz balls until I saw the photos you posted of them, which are amazing BTW.

I'm really happy to hear that you received some media attention & recognition for all your efforts with the peregrine falcons.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #52
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Here are some shots from today's Peregrine checks~

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1020287.jpg This is UB's mum BB perched on her nest with one of the kids behind her.

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1020343.jpg and mum Stella at Central Terminal. Dad is on lookout high above her. Their eyasses, maybe 5, will be 3 weeks old soon and get banded at that time. After that, they will start getting around on foot and then maybe we can see them.

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1020432.jpg No parent pefa at the Statler nestbox but the kids are getting big! I actually shot this thru the moonroof of the car.

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1020433.jpg This is a normal shot I took at the same time. See how high up the nest is? Enlarge to see.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #53

Our Peregrines started fledging yesterday so we have been very busy. Two have needed to be rescued and we were already on hand when Harry Potter went down. He had been flying wonderfully since yesterday but a bunch of gulls tried to fly with Harry and Ron resulting in Harry getting distracted. Then he got trapped in a dangerous area.

While we were getting Harry boxed up and returned to the roof, his mama was flying in circles overhead. Roger got some fantastic shots which I put HERE.

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1100726.jpg
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #54
Official Plant Nerd

OK.... inquiring minds want to know. How do you put them back in their nests? Can you get in the buildings and just open up some flap and put them back or do you have to hoist them up in the air on some pole?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #55

Good question, Lib! Since Harry had fledged yesterday and was flying fine, he was returned to a roof under the tower containing the nest.

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1020980.jpg The roof where Harry was released

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1180744.jpg Tower where nestbox is

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1140986.jpg Inside MacKay looking up to opening. Ken climbed the steps, zig-zagging to the roof, opened the hatch to release Harry from the cardboard box

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1000481.jpg The complex showing the roof of MacKay from which the tower rises

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1180126.jpg It would have been a much worse climb to the nestbox. Straight up these rungs, wearing an uncomfortable harness like a mountain climber, 135 ft, carrying the bird!

Another falcon from the Statler landed in a busy street today and could not be returned to nest because the bankruptcy court has denied access to the DEC even in the case of such an emergency. This bird has to go to a rehabilitator for a few weeks and then be released.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #56
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What did he get into? A fenced in area he couldn't fly up and out of?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #57

Yes, he crawled into the enclosure through a hole just big enough at ground level, The enclosure contained massive electric transformers and the fence was very high with barbed wire around it. These birds when newly fledged, have difficulty lifting off from ground. When the take off, they generally dip a bit to move those wings for lift.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #58

I love this shot Roger took of mama BB yesterday! If this were used for a desktop on a white background, you'd see her floating in the air! Click 2x to enlarge fully~

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1100726.jpg
Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #59

A few recent pix of the Peregrine kids!

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1130013.jpg Stash, Jr.

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1040306-1.jpg This is the little one who got rescued Monday night and returned to her nestbox, She got blown off by high winds during a bad storm. The DEC named her "Sage"! Isn't she adorable?

~Peregrine Falcons~-p1040769.jpg Sage flapping her wings!

Lots more news and pix on the blog!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #60
Fox

Awesome shots Sage and Roger!! I've never seen one of these in person but your photos more than make up for that. Thank you.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird photos, birds, buffalo, eyasses, falcon, falcon eggs, falcon nest, falcon photo, falcon photos, falcons, nest, nest box, nest photo, nest video cam, nesting, nesting birds, peregrine, peregrine eggs, peregrine falcon, peregrine falcon photos, peregrine nest, peregrine photos, webcam