Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Big Fat juicy WORM

Mark, thank you for sharing that site. I was particularly interested in the methods of euthanizing the captured sparrows. It's obvious someone put a lot of thought and effort in developing quick and painless methods to do this. And there are a variety of choices as well.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Heron

Hey , great news ,

I just got back from the doctors office (Don't ask ) while there I was paging through a National Geographic . It seems that in London itself that the English house sparrow is in decline there . The article says that

" in 1925 a survey was taken and that 2,603 house sparrows were found in the city's Kensington gardens . A follow-up survey done in 2000 found only 8 . A recent Royal Society study says sparrows aren't catching enough insects to feed thier summer hatchlings . Some conservationists wonder if more pavement and less greenery are the culprits . "

Now we have been going about this all wrong , lets throw in with the developers . Pave over America and then maybe we will be rid of these pests !
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Pave over America? Aren't we in the process of doing that already? Somebody's a little slap happy! Much speculation as to why their numbers are declining throughout their native range. I have my own theories. In another thread someone proposed we swap with the UK. Wish we could. They're currently losing HOSPs over there to trichomoniasis and we're losing cavity nesters to HOSPs over here.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Salamander

The decline in House Sparrow numbers isn't confined to Europe. North America is seeing significant declines, as well. On the surface, this appears to be a very good thing. The fact that we don't know why the decline is occurring is a problem. Some native birds populations are declining too. I found this:

"Where have all the sparrows gone?
By Mary Wiens,
CBCUnlocked Updated: Sep 27, 2005, 16:32

As the old hymn has it, God has his eye on every little sparrow. However, even He may be having a hard time finding the once ubiquitous little birds because the North American population is declining. The Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) shows that the number of house sparrows, once the most abundant bird species on the continent, has fallen by 62 per cent since 1966. In Canada, where the data is collected somewhat differently, the BBS estimate of their decline is even more dramatic — a drop of 75 per cent since 1966. No one really knows why there are fewer house sparrows, in part because they’re a low priority for most researchers. Becky Whitham is a project manager with Project Feeder Watch, part of Bird Studies Canada, a non-profit conservation group."

To read more of this article see:
http://omega.twoday.net/stories/1147135/
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
"Where have all the sparrows gone?
Judging from the picture on this thread, they're all shopping at Wal Mart.

Photos of Invasives
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

They do all shop at Walmart. I see piles of seed on the islands that the employees feed them to keep them coming back and they fly around inside the store too.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
Salamander

If they sell food (Super Walmart), even just chips and candy, I'd ask for a manager. Politely explain that House Sparrows carry:

chlamydiosis
coccidiosis
erysipeloid
Newcastle’s parathypoid
pullorum
salmonellosis
transmittable gastroenteritis
tuberculosis
various encephalitis viruses
vibriosis and yersinosis
internal parasites (acariasis, schistosomiasis, taeniasis, toxoplasmosis, and trichomoniasis) and household pests (bed bugs, carpet beetles, clothes moths, fleas, lice, mites, and ticks)

Better yet, give the manager the list. You will be out of breath if you read it. Ask the manager if he/she intends to have the birds removed and actively prevent them from returning or if he/she would prefer that the Health Department address the issue. You may want to provide the manager with a list of local bird control companies. Ask them to provide you with proof that they are addressing the problem so that you don't have to bother the good people at the Health Department. This is one area where House Sparrows can and should be controlled for public health reasons.

If you frequent an outdoor patio/bar where they sell food and there are HOSP present see if you notice any nesting activity in the area. If so, produce the same lists and repeat.

Disease list source:
http://www.animalcontrolproducts.com/Sparrow.html
Old 02-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

ohhhh, you're baaaaaad. I like that.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Carbon

Hey!
I'm SO GLAD that I found this site! I've been wasting a lot of time posting my own controversial postings on the Wild-Ones website- only to be chastised for bring up such topics as I'm finding on this Fantastic Site!
"Thank you, Lord!"
---
Now, I am in need of more info regarding the destructive nature of these Alien bird species- Euro-Sparrows, and Starlings.
I've been knocking off a few - using a pellet gun, (I've been laid off for a couple of months), but will get a lot more serious about this Serious problem now that I'm hearing that it's so vital to the survival of our own Natives!
(Cowbirds are also on my list of enemies!)
Please give me a quick list of some of the negative impacts that our natives are facing- (without listing all of the statistics)
It sounds like these birds are "murder" on our Natives!
Precision trapping may help, I think!
Thanks!
guloguloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Salamander

House sparrows and starlings were introduced to North America from Europe in the 1850s. Some people wanted all of the birds that Shakespeare wrote about in America. They were also supposed to control insects. They both compete with any native cavity nesting bird that nests in a cavity that they can enter. They kill adult birds, nestlings, peck the eggs and destroy the nests of our native birds from tree swallows and bluebirds to woodpeckers. I have seen a female tree swallow killed by a house sparrow, while she was sitting on her eggs. The sparrow built a nest on her corpse. They are both a contributing factor in the decline of native birds. Trapping and shooting is the best combination of methods to remove as many of these from your immediate area as possible. There are in-box traps, repeating traps . . . It all depends on your target species and how many of them you are dealing with. Know your enemy! Please be SURE that you do not leave a trap unattended for more than an hour and make sure that you know a house sparrow from our native sparrows. A female house sparrow is very similar to several native sparrows. If you forget about a trap you can end up with a dead bluebird.

It probably wouldn't be wise for me to promote an illegal activity. Brown-headed cowbirds are native and can only be killed under a federal permit, legally. While I believe that they should not be protected and that your chance of being convicted for killing cowbirds is slim, they are protected. Having said that, I understand that if you want to maximize the benefit to native cup nesting birds by shooting cowbirds, you should just shoot the females. The males will bring more females in to your shooting area and the females are the only problem. The males are black, with a brown head. The females are the gray ones that the males are chasing.

Oh ya, I hear that things can get a bit disturbing if you shoot a female cowbird and one or more males are around. Just don't watch.:eek:

Tags
beware, bird, bird habitat, bird house, bird protection, birds, bluebirds, destructive predators, house, house sparrow, house sparrows, introduced species, invasive, invasive birds, invasive fauna, invasive species, martins, non native, non native birds, non native species, predators, predators protection, protect birds, sparrow, sparrows