Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Pine Siskin invasion

Here in central New York we're having a delightful invasion of pine siskins. They especially like my thistle feeder and in recent days I've seen as many as thirty at one time. Any one else seeing an unusually large number of these birds?
FLNPSwebmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

We see these little pretties mostly in winter. We saw more of them last year than this year. Last year we also had redpolls. That was a first. They do like the thistle seed but I have watched them eating birch seed.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Fox

We've also enjoyed an invasion of pine siskins here in northern Wisconsin this year. In some years, we don't see any all season. Ours are dining on the black oil sunflower seeds. Black oil sunflower and suet have been the most sought out foods here, so that's all we've offered this year.

Along with the pine siskins we have purple finches, chickadees, goldfinches, mourning doves, tree sparrows, juncos, red and white breasted nuthatches; downy, hairy and red breasted woodpeckers, cardinals and blue jays as daily visitors.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Heron

Never seen a pine siskin or redpoll this far south, though last year there was an irruption of chestnut sided nut-hatches. They were very tame, and I could stand within 2 feet of them while they were on our feeders. it was an amazing experience to be this/close to these little birds.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Big Fat juicy WORM

We don't have them here either. sigh But the cardinal families are back
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

I'm sooooo out of my league here. I know the cardinals, and the mourning dove, but the others are just "skinny little birdie" or "cute fat one".

I did manage to pick out ducks flying overhead today by the sound, so I guess I'm not COMPLETELY hopeless.
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Salamander

The last time I saw pine siskins at my feeders was about 20 years ago. They don't usually come this far south (South Louisiana), but they're here this year. They're going for thistle & black oil sunflower seed. Pretty cool!
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Grub

Default Pine siskin in New Hampshire

We are having a pine siskin irruption in New Hampshire too. For the past week, I have had 30 to 40 pine siskin a day. Never before. I usually have mourning doves, titmice, black capped chickadees, American goldfinches, and white breasted huthatch. I've read that NH is the southern edge of their range and they only come here after big storms in Canada. When the food is gone at my house, they will move to the next area they find food. I've been refilling my birdfeeders at an alarming rate. They certainly are feisty birds. They scare off the goldfinches easily; the chickadees avoid them. Only the junkos go one on one.
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

A pine siskin eruption! All you lucky ducks out there!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Carbon

Several people around here (central New York) are reporting seeing "Green Morph" pine siskins. These are yellower than the normal Pine Siskin. Have you ever observed these?
FLNPSwebmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird species, bird watchers, bird watching, birds, invasion, pine, pine siskin, siskin