Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Bluebird Box Baffle

Hello all,

Last year I put up bluebird boxes but would like to add a baffle for added protection. I saw these at a local Agway store and wondered if anyone had any luck with it? (I'm leaning toward the torpedo type but don't want to invest in it if you all think it is no good.)

Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebird Box Baffle-cid__0228001446.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Fox

I use the torpedo.

The baffle discourages invasion from the bottom, but be mindful that predators can also leap on the birdhouse from the top or side. It was tricky for me to find a spot that was far enough away from branches to be safe.

...and here's the final word on the subject from Sialis:
http://www.sialis.org/baffle.htm
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I use a torpedo style too... another year and my little squeevers will have completely gnawed the wooden pole in half... then the birdfeeder will fall over and... they'll have their fill of seed. I'll take a photo of what the "squeevers" have done underneath the torpedo. It'll be good for a laugh.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliandra View Post
I use the torpedo.

The baffle discourages invasion from the bottom, but be mindful that predators can also leap on the birdhouse from the top or side. It was tricky for me to find a spot that was far enough away from branches to be safe.

...and here's the final word on the subject from Sialis:
Raccoon Baffle for nestboxes (Predator Guard)
Calliandra,

Thanks for the feedback. I have enough open space so that I shouldn't have that problem..but, I'd better check how close one of them is to the grove of locust trees.

I noticed sialis.org has a homemade baffle, but I'm not sure I want to deal with trying to make it. I'm hoping the torpedo will work for me.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I use a torpedo style too... another year and my little squeevers will have completely gnawed the wooden pole in half... then the birdfeeder will fall over and... they'll have their fill of seed. I'll take a photo of what the "squeevers" have done underneath the torpedo. It'll be good for a laugh.
squeevers are squirrels who think they are beavers?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
squeevers are squirrels who think they are beavers?
Now I'm getting a mental image of a 32-lb squirrel with a 2-ft long bushy tail and an attitude. I may not be able to sleep tonight...
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliandra View Post
now i'm getting a mental image of a 32-lb squirrel with a 2-ft long bushy tail and an attitude. I may not be able to sleep tonight...
lol!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Oh God... it was late last night and I didn't read the thread good enough. The design on the right should work good enough stopping snakes from getting into a bluebird nest box. Bluebird nest boxes are usually mounted on metal poles not wooden poles like my big birdfeeder. And squeevers ARE squirrels that think they're beavers. I remembered to take a photo for you. It isn't the best since none of the photos showing their hour glass gnaw job underneath the baffle turned out good but you can still get an idea of the progress they've made. Industrious little buggers, eh? All they'll need to do next is to yell "Timber" when they're done. Calliandra> now you can share my squirrel war nightmares. I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one waking up in the middle of the night wondering if they organized a night crew to do in a bird feeder.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebird Box Baffle-squirrel-damage.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Mentor

I used a PVC baffle for 2 years and did not have issues, but the nest was on a slick, metal post in a mowed area facing an old field. I'm not sure if any predators really ever tried to get into the box or if they stayed in the cover away from it. Nonetheless, eventually sparrows moved in.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Oh God... it was late last night and I didn't read the thread good enough. The design on the right should work good enough stopping snakes from getting into a bluebird nest box. Bluebird nest boxes are usually mounted on metal poles not wooden poles like my big birdfeeder. And squeevers ARE squirrels that think they're beavers. I remembered to take a photo for you. It isn't the best since none of the photos showing their hour glass gnaw job underneath the baffle turned out good but you can still get an idea of the progress they've made. Industrious little buggers, eh? All they'll need to do next is to yell "Timber" when they're done. Calliandra> now you can share my squirrel war nightmares. I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one waking up in the middle of the night wondering if they organized a night crew to do in a bird feeder.

Thanks for the feedback. I found it easier to screw them into the wooden posts...hope it won't be a problem with a baffle.

Hey, I guessed RIGHT--squeevers.

I can almost hear the "timber" in a Chip and Dale kind of voice.

Tags
baffle, birdhouse, birdhouse baffle, bluebird, bluebird box baffle, bluebird houses, bluebird nest boxes, box