Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Fun little project providing nesting materials for birds. (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/5245-fun-little-project-providing-nesting-materials-birds.html)

TheLorax 02-17-2010 04:07 PM

Fun little project providing nesting materials for birds.

2 Attachment(s)
I offer nesting materials to our birds.

One of the materials I offer is dryer lint. I use laundry detergent free of harsh chemicals and do not use fabric softners.

I enjoy watching the birds pulling my humble nesting material offerings and thought you might also.

MaggyNoLia 02-17-2010 04:45 PM

We use pet hair. I always grab all the hair I get after brushing the pets and I shove it into the crevices on the palmetto trees for them to find.

lonediver 02-17-2010 06:16 PM

Good ideas both , we air dry here though .

There is a laundromat close by but I would not know what would have been put in the laundry so that would be a bad idea ? Would there be harmful residue after being dried ?

linrose 02-19-2010 09:07 AM

Good ideas! I have a couple of old feather pillows that I could use. I could never sleep on them anyway. To me they smell like wet chickens!

lonediver 02-19-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 58944)
Good ideas! I have a couple of old feather pillows that I could use. I could never sleep on them anyway. To me they smell like wet chickens!

Another fine idea , my only contribution is that around here for this thread . on my property I have a somewhat large quanity of large bunch grasses . Most go dormant in winter . Normally close to about this time of year (late feb-early march) shear the tops off and cut the stems , leaves into shorter lengths and leave a pile out for the critters to pick through .

havalotta 02-19-2010 02:42 PM

I empty my bird cage litter (Corn cob granules) into the floral gardens to decompose. When poring it out I blow through it to send the feathers into the grass beyond for them to gather.

Sage 02-19-2010 03:03 PM

Great ideas! They actually sell mesh bags of nest-buildng material now.

lonediver, I think laundromat lint may have harsh chemicals...

lonediver 02-19-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 58963)
Great ideas! They actually sell mesh bags of nest-buildng material now.

lonediver, I think laundromat lint may have harsh chemicals...

Was afraid of that , it would be of largely unknown material from ?

Oh well , an abundance of other ideas have been put forward .

Sage 02-19-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonediver (Post 58965)
Was afraid of that , it would be of largely unknown material from ?

Oh well , an abundance of other ideas have been put forward .

yeah, probably china... bad idea

But how about THIS - gag me with a spoon :yuck

lonediver 02-19-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 58966)
yeah, probably china... bad idea

But how about THIS - gag me with a spoon :yuck

Yummy !

Somewhere sometime back I was having a discussion with I believe The Lorax about unusual cuisine from around the world .

Hmmm , where was that thread ?

Shall we start another down, on Gardeners cafe seems right ?

You lead off , I will be glad to contribute .