Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #51
Salamander

I forgot the other great thing that we put out in our nesting-supply box. . . wool roving!

And I just read about another fun idea for providing those feathers, which was to use a floral frog to hold them.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #52
Unicellular Fungi

May I ask what a floral frog is please?

Here are two photos of the pillow case we cut into thin strips to offer to our birds. The strips are approximately 1/4th of an inch by 6" each. We added shredded cotton quilt batting as well as more dryer lint to our offerings. We then placed our offerings in a wire suet feeder to hang in a tree. We are looking forward to watching which little birdies take our nesting materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Fun little project providing nesting materials for birds.-img_0011.jpg   Fun little project providing nesting materials for birds.-img_0013.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #53
Carbon

Here are 15 things that I found that might be good for birds to use for nests. I'm sure some of theses have already been mentioned, but I'm also sure that some of them haven't.

Bits of fur
Bristles from old paint brushes
Cotton
Dried grass
Peat moss
Wood shavings
Hair of any kind
Kapok (Ceiba pentandra) Don't know where you can get it though.
Yarn
Pieces of soft cloth
Raveled rope and burlap
Spanish moss
Furniture stuffing (and stuffed animal guts... their stuffing)
Thread
Wool

Remember... if you use any string like object, it should be cut up into small enough pieces for the birds to use. Also tell me if any of this stuff is a bird nesting no-no.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #54
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I don't hear too many people call them frogs (I do), but a floral frog is the gizmo you sick in the bottom of a vase of cut flowers to help hold them where you want them.

It's usually a heavy disc or knob of metal that has a bunch of pins sticking out of it, but there are glass ones that just have holes to hold the stems.

floral frog - Google Search
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #55
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Lorax....
There are the metal pin type floral frogs in the lower right hand area of this shelf.
Fun little project providing nesting materials for birds.-dscf2657.jpg
If you look behind the birds in the lower left you can just see one of the pink glass floral frogs.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #56
Official Plant Nerd

Chomp> really good list except for maybe the furniture stuffing.... I think I heard upholstery and stuffing were treated with flame retardants. There's some really nasty chemicals involved in that process. I don't know why they even bother.... it's not like the flame retardants stop a sofa from going up in smoke if it catches fire. havalotta> I think I have a floral frog. It's different than yours but I'm pretty sure I do from swamp thing's google. I'll have to get a photo and you tell me.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #57
Salamander

Here's Ms. Carolina Wren nesting right in the little decorative thing we thought we be a good place to supply nesting material for the birds last year!
Attached Thumbnails
Fun little project providing nesting materials for birds.-img_8725.jpg  
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #58
Official Plant Nerd

Hysterical!!! You were a good nest material offerer!!! Sooooo good they decided to nest in the source!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #59
WG Operations, Facilitator

Great nest photo Teresa!

Ms. Carolina Wren knew a good thing when she saw it.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #60
Grub

This thread has been quiet for a while, but I'll mention this before fall cleanup in case anyone wants to try it. I saw a bird taking advantage of it yesterday.

I’ve been leaving some of the stems from the previous season’s Asclepias incarnate (Swamp Milkweed) and the birds really like it for nesting material. Also it’s entertaining to see the birds separate out the fibers. So far over the two years I’ve been doing this I’ve seen the following types of birds use it for this purpose:
House Finch, Cardinal, Goldfinch (I didn’t get a good look, but definitely a bird with yellow), and my favorite of these, Orioles.
loris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird habitat, bird nest, bird nest materials, bird nests, birds, fun, materials, nature projects, nest, nesting, nesting birds, nesting material, nests, project, provide nesting materials, providing