Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #41
Carbon

This isn't about nesting materials for birds, but squirrels. If there is anything laying around like string, twine or fishing line and they use it to build a nest, it can tangle the babies' tails together. They will fall out of the nest.
This happened a couple of years ago near here and a local rehabber could not get the tails untangled and the babies had to be euthanized.
Annetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #42
Official Plant Nerd

That's a big bummer about the babies. Fishing line is pretty bad for lots of animals. I pick that up when I see it even if it's in water stuck to vegetation. I don't find strings... maybe too small for me to see? Twine sometimes. I know squirrels are collectors... the satellite guy said he saw part of a towel in a leaf nest when he was on our roof. That had to have come from our garage. When towels rip and can't be used anymore I cut them down for rags and one of our squirrels must have snitched one. Those babies were fine. I know some rehabbers and I cross paths with others now and then. I've not heard a peep about euthanizing squirrels for getting tangled. Maybe it's only isolated incidents by us so it's not a hot topic?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #43
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I haven't used that moss planter as a planter since the wrens took up residence. That's OK by me. And about feather pillows, I don't know how anyone can sleep on them. They smell awful and the feathers do pop out and stick you in the neck. I'm sure 100% down would be better but I can't afford those. Better to leave the feathers for the birds!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #44
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I hung onto them all these years... Feathers for all our feathered friends ... maybe my husband will stop laughing at me when reminding me about my "deal".
It sounds like a you were a verrrry frugal shopper - snagging a bargain back then for your feathered friends now. . . .
Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #45
Official Plant Nerd

The feather pillows I bought stunk... powerful blast of something when I took them out of their plastic bags. If they were selling those in a store they'd have to seal them in plastic or nobody in their right mind would buy them at any price. Down is expensive but it's real nice. That's why I bought two... or at least I thought I was buying down pillows. You'd like sleeping on one. Mine's about 60 years old. Every year I take it in and have it cleaned and put in a fresh casing. Down for me... chicken for my feathered friends. I think that's what's in those bargain pillows. Remind me never to watch a shopping channel with a head cold and credit card in hand...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #46
Salamander

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or to laugh at you with your husband. I think I will laugh at you. Would a nice big bag of organic cotton batting for your birds make you feel better?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #47
Official Plant Nerd

You twisted my arm. Want half of my chicken feathers?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #48
Fox

Oh, jeezelouise. I forgot to buy the cotton balls again. Has anyone tried these?
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #49
Official Plant Nerd

I loaded up our birdie bell cage thingie. I don't know if it works yet or not... I have to remember to hang it outside. Mine's loaded with feathers. That's what I had the most of.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #50
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I think cotton holds moisture.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird habitat, bird nest, bird nest materials, bird nests, birds, fun, materials, nature projects, nest, nesting, nesting birds, nesting material, nests, project, provide nesting materials, providing