Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Grub

dragonfly01 About Dirds..

My brother Everett put up Bird feeders. he thought. But he gets a ton of action from Deer, so I've renamed the feeders Dird feeders, since they get both wingeds & 4-leggeds. The little cuties cleaned out 15 lbs of seeds just last night - & they do it almost daily. They started out licking the seeds out of the little openings but it didn't take long for them to figure out that if they bumped the feeders, they'd get more seeds faster, so now one "Dird" bumps the feeder & others eat, then she eats while someone else bumps the feeder. And some scientists claim critters don't think?? HAH! Such 'scientists' give the rest of us scientists a bad name. These 'Dirds' prove that.. Fascinating. & I believe we got pictures, so as soon as I download them, I'll stick some up here.
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

About Dirds..-2096068769_08b4acc23b_b.jpg "But we're birds too!"

About Dirds..-3114601358_a7e1f47838_b.jpg No way these guys can make that claim but they're hungry too!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
My brother Everett put up Bird feeders. he thought. But he gets a ton of action from Deer, so I've renamed the feeders Dird feeders, since they get both wingeds & 4-leggeds. The little cuties cleaned out 15 lbs of seeds just last night - & they do it almost daily. They started out licking the seeds out of the little openings but it didn't take long for them to figure out that if they bumped the feeders, they'd get more seeds faster, so now one "Dird" bumps the feeder & others eat, then she eats while someone else bumps the feeder. And some scientists claim critters don't think?? HAH! Such 'scientists' give the rest of us scientists a bad name. These 'Dirds' prove that.. Fascinating. & I believe we got pictures, so as soon as I download them, I'll stick some up here.
Yes ,definitely animals do think/reason . I've WAY to many examples to even begin . I often find it necessary to put on a thinkin'cap to stay ahead of them . Or on occassion it is necessary to give up and let em' have thier way . It was thier place first after all
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

My mother in ND keeps bird feeders on her back porch overlooking the river valley. Usually, raccoons are the biggest problem she deals with, but last week she called to report that a wild turkey not only was on the porch, it was pecking vigorously on the glass patio door that opens to it. Guess it wanted to see if there was a better selection inside...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
My mother in ND keeps bird feeders on her back porch overlooking the river valley. Usually, raccoons are the biggest problem she deals with, but last week she called to report that a wild turkey not only was on the porch, it was pecking vigorously on the glass patio door that opens to it. Guess it wanted to see if there was a better selection inside...

Well, well , did she and give in to the and allow it entrance ? Or did she simply and write it off as a off bird ?

You have us on the story now ! Give , finish this drama !
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
The Bug Whisperer

Knowing the sanitary habits of turkeys (as well as birds in general - I'll leave the parakeet and chicken stories for a later time); she elected to let the turkey stay out on the porch...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Knowing the sanitary habits of turkeys (as well as birds in general - I'll leave the parakeet and chicken stories for a later time); she elected to let the turkey stay out on the porch...
...... ..... Shame on your mother and my wife (refer to my thread at ;

Springtime guests showing up on my doorstep .

These wimmen folk are violating the sense of western hospitality ! Critters are folks too!

When they come to your door and you don't let em' in is unmannerly !
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Here's my "squird" feeder. I bought it for jays and look what I get. That's my black squirrel perched in the jay and crow feeder.
Attached Thumbnails
About Dirds..-img_0942.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

Dirds and Squirds -
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Two summers ago, I got got this "bird"-- hey, that didn't work. How about a "beard"? ARGGH--what should I call this visitor?
Attached Thumbnails
About Dirds..-cid__0610081937a.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird intelligence, dirds, feed birds, feeders, feeding, feeding birds, feeding station, feeding wildlife, photos, pictures, wildlife, wildlife feeders, wildlife intelligence