Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Grub
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Dakota
dragonfly01 About Dirds..

My brother Everett put up Bird feeders. he thought. But he gets a ton of action from Deer, so I've renamed the feeders Dird feeders, since they get both wingeds & 4-leggeds. The little cuties cleaned out 15 lbs of seeds just last night - & they do it almost daily. They started out licking the seeds out of the little openings but it didn't take long for them to figure out that if they bumped the feeders, they'd get more seeds faster, so now one "Dird" bumps the feeder & others eat, then she eats while someone else bumps the feeder. And some scientists claim critters don't think?? HAH! Such 'scientists' give the rest of us scientists a bad name. These 'Dirds' prove that.. Fascinating. & I believe we got pictures, so as soon as I download them, I'll stick some up here.
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Default

About Dirds..-2096068769_08b4acc23b_b.jpg "But we're birds too!"

About Dirds..-3114601358_a7e1f47838_b.jpg No way these guys can make that claim but they're hungry too!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Heron
 
lonediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maricopa , Arizona , U.S.A.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
My brother Everett put up Bird feeders. he thought. But he gets a ton of action from Deer, so I've renamed the feeders Dird feeders, since they get both wingeds & 4-leggeds. The little cuties cleaned out 15 lbs of seeds just last night - & they do it almost daily. They started out licking the seeds out of the little openings but it didn't take long for them to figure out that if they bumped the feeders, they'd get more seeds faster, so now one "Dird" bumps the feeder & others eat, then she eats while someone else bumps the feeder. And some scientists claim critters don't think?? HAH! Such 'scientists' give the rest of us scientists a bad name. These 'Dirds' prove that.. Fascinating. & I believe we got pictures, so as soon as I download them, I'll stick some up here.
Yes ,definitely animals do think/reason . I've WAY to many examples to even begin . I often find it necessary to put on a thinkin'cap to stay ahead of them . Or on occassion it is necessary to give up and let em' have thier way . It was thier place first after all
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer
 
suunto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe County, WV, USA
Default

My mother in ND keeps bird feeders on her back porch overlooking the river valley. Usually, raccoons are the biggest problem she deals with, but last week she called to report that a wild turkey not only was on the porch, it was pecking vigorously on the glass patio door that opens to it. Guess it wanted to see if there was a better selection inside...
__________________
“Every artist dips his brush in his own soul and paints his own nature into his pictures.”

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Heron
 
lonediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maricopa , Arizona , U.S.A.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
My mother in ND keeps bird feeders on her back porch overlooking the river valley. Usually, raccoons are the biggest problem she deals with, but last week she called to report that a wild turkey not only was on the porch, it was pecking vigorously on the glass patio door that opens to it. Guess it wanted to see if there was a better selection inside...

Well, well , did she and give in to the and allow it entrance ? Or did she simply and write it off as a off bird ?

You have us on the story now ! Give , finish this drama !
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
The Bug Whisperer
 
suunto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe County, WV, USA
Default

Knowing the sanitary habits of turkeys (as well as birds in general - I'll leave the parakeet and chicken stories for a later time); she elected to let the turkey stay out on the porch...
__________________
“Every artist dips his brush in his own soul and paints his own nature into his pictures.”

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Heron
 
lonediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maricopa , Arizona , U.S.A.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Knowing the sanitary habits of turkeys (as well as birds in general - I'll leave the parakeet and chicken stories for a later time); she elected to let the turkey stay out on the porch...
...... ..... Shame on your mother and my wife (refer to my thread at ;

Springtime guests showing up on my doorstep .

These wimmen folk are violating the sense of western hospitality ! Critters are folks too!

When they come to your door and you don't let em' in is unmannerly !
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

Here's my "squird" feeder. I bought it for jays and look what I get. That's my black squirrel perched in the jay and crow feeder.
Attached Thumbnails
About Dirds..-img_0942.jpg  
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
WG Facilitator
 
biigblueyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cajun Country, Louisiana, USA
Default

Dirds and Squirds -
__________________
My yarden and I lean a little to the wild side.
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Two summers ago, I got got this "bird"-- hey, that didn't work. How about a "beard"? ARGGH--what should I call this visitor?
Attached Thumbnails
About Dirds..-cid__0610081937a.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird intelligence, dirds, feed birds, feeders, feeding, feeding birds, feeding station, feeding wildlife, photos, pictures, wildlife, wildlife feeders, wildlife intelligence

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2