Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
I am up. I am dusted off. The visual of the bear sitting beneath the feeder patiently waiting for a re-fill from you has simply relegated me to the floor again.

~smile~ I was not about to go back out and refill with him sitting there!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

Guess what??? Blue jays will beat most animals to backyard hazelnuts and the squirrels will plant more for you and you won't need to lift one finger!!! Hazelnuts were an excellent choice to plant.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Guess what??? Blue jays will beat most animals to backyard hazelnuts and the squirrels will plant more for you and you won't need to lift one finger!!! Hazelnuts were an excellent choice to plant.
Good to hear!

Blue jays are not my favorite, but they are growing on me, I guess. There are two coming to my feeder.

I'm hoping *I* can get a couple of the hazelnuts for myself too! Even just a taste.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #24
Carbon

After our "beard" smashed and made off with about 6 feeders. I had other names for him!
Annetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

The jays grew on me too since so many keep getting wiped out by West Nile Virus. Annetel> censored was waaaay too polite. Somewhere around here is a photo of a bear hanging from a clothes line I think it was. If I could find it I'd tell you where it was so you could bust a gut and not feel so bad about 6 smashed beard feeders.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #26
WG Staff

The bear and clothesline thread:
Fake Bear/Birdfeeder photos
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The jays grew on me too since so many keep getting wiped out by West Nile Virus. Annetel> censored was waaaay too polite. Somewhere around here is a photo of a bear hanging from a clothes line I think it was. If I could find it I'd tell you where it was so you could bust a gut and not feel so bad about 6 smashed beard feeders.
I hadn't heard that West Nile virus was wiping them out! As a kid I probably liked them because they were big and blue and I could recognize them. ...but, later, I realized they were very aggressive (I guess other birds are too) so that put a damper on them for a bit. This year I had a pair (well, not sure the are a 'couple' but there were two of them). I put a potted tree near the window to get birds closer to the house--they were perched on the thin twig and just looked so cool together.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

WNV is wiping out a lot of native birds not just the jays. Bummer is HOSPs are vectors. They're a reservoir. They fly around infected in the skies getting bitten by mosquitoes... then the mosquitoes bite people and other birds... the other birds die and the English house sparrows survive the infection. My crows are gone because of WNV. WNV hit Illinois pretty bad but... I have been seeing some on the shoulders of roads so I'm hoping one of these days I'll have a few again. They're really neat birds. The crows were always the most lively birds we ever had. They were a stitch and a half. They're thieves too... try putting out a couple pieces of shiny junk jewelry and see what happens. You and your partner will be rolling on the floor watching them approach the shiny bits looking around to see who's watching before making off with the goods. I have no idea why our crows liked shiny jewelry but they did. They started taking it right out of a craft box we had sitting on the picnic table. Then we set out more junk for our entertainment. Good clean family fun watching those goofball crows. Other people told me their crows were like ferrets. If their crows could snatch and grab they did. Somewhere in crowland is a great big cache of junk jewelry.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #29
Carbon

One day I was driving into town and somebody had thrown out their litter from McDonald's on the edge of the road. A crow was eating french fries. As I got closer it picked up the FF bag and flew away! That was one of those moments you wish you had a camera.
Annetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #30
WG Facilitator

Mr. Crow wasn't about to share his fries with you!

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird intelligence, dirds, feed birds, feeders, feeding, feeding birds, feeding station, feeding wildlife, photos, pictures, wildlife, wildlife feeders, wildlife intelligence