Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Fox

Whatever he wants you to.
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha... dirds, squirds, and brirds. Hilarious photo!!! I thought I had it bad until... I saw your brird feeder. I'm liking my squird feeder more and more.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

What a very nice beard feeder you have. What a doll you are for providing such bounty for your beards.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
And some scientists claim critters don't think?? HAH! Such 'scientists' give the rest of us scientists a bad name.
What scientists are you talking about?

We got turkeys at our feeder the last time we used it. I love turkeys!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Grub

dragonfly01 Bear-D works..

Pretty much it's more what the bear-d prefers to be called. Mostly, I suppose, to dinner. And not "late".

This morning the wauglushka - turkeys - came to the feeders. 10 of them. I had put out some dried bread chunks & 1 of them discovered them. I wish I had this on video! She hunched her 'shoulders'.. ducked her head & cocked it & eyed the chunks suspiciously & took tiny steps toward the chunks, then suddenly leapt back & sideways & trotted away. Then she'd eeease in on the chunks, peck towards them, then skitter sideways. This went on for several minutes - completely ignored by the rest of the flock. Eventually another turkey joined in & the both did this for awhile. I was laughing so hard, I was nearly on the floor. Had to hang on to a chair to stay upright.

Eventually the 1st 1 got a chunk of the bread & after she swallowed, decided itwas pretty good stuff, so she & the 2nd 1 pecked the chunk to bits & ate it. Then traffic came by & everyone lit out. But it was great entertainment while it lasted.

Have foiled the dirds on 1 feeder - Put it on a rope thru a small pulley so no one has to take a ladder out to fill that feeder. And of course, it's higher up the ash tree now. The feed bill has dropped considerably, but they are hardly hurting for food..
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Whatever he wants you to.
~smile~ I guess you are right! I know *I* won't be arguing with him!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
Pretty much it's more what the bear-d prefers to be called. Mostly, I suppose, to dinner. And not "late".

This morning the wauglushka - turkeys - came to the feeders. 10 of them. I had put out some dried bread chunks & 1 of them discovered them. I wish I had this on video! She hunched her 'shoulders'.. ducked her head & cocked it & eyed the chunks suspiciously & took tiny steps toward the chunks, then suddenly leapt back & sideways & trotted away. Then she'd eeease in on the chunks, peck towards them, then skitter sideways. This went on for several minutes - completely ignored by the rest of the flock. Eventually another turkey joined in & the both did this for awhile. I was laughing so hard, I was nearly on the floor. Had to hang on to a chair to stay upright.

Eventually the 1st 1 got a chunk of the bread & after she swallowed, decided itwas pretty good stuff, so she & the 2nd 1 pecked the chunk to bits & ate it. Then traffic came by & everyone lit out. But it was great entertainment while it lasted.

Have foiled the dirds on 1 feeder - Put it on a rope thru a small pulley so no one has to take a ladder out to fill that feeder. And of course, it's higher up the ash tree now. The feed bill has dropped considerably, but they are hardly hurting for food..

Great story! I could picture it in my head, so I guess no video was needed. Everyone needs a good laugh.

Wauglushka ...I like it. What language is it?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ha ha ha... dirds, squirds, and brirds. Hilarious photo!!! I thought I had it bad until... I saw your brird feeder. I'm liking my squird feeder more and more.
~smile~ It was a one time thing---well, one time that I witnessed it. I'm glad I got some pics...but it will be okay with me if I don't get any more (bear-irds, that is) or at least when I'm inside again.

Then again, I planted three hazelnut trees, so I might be attracting them to other parts of the yard even without a feeder.

Yeah, I bet squirds are not so bad any more!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
What a very nice beard feeder you have. What a doll you are for providing such bounty for your beards.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Now get up off the floor and dust yourself off!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

I am up. I am dusted off. The visual of the bear sitting beneath the feeder patiently waiting for a re-fill from you has simply relegated me to the floor again.

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird intelligence, dirds, feed birds, feeders, feeding, feeding birds, feeding station, feeding wildlife, photos, pictures, wildlife, wildlife feeders, wildlife intelligence