Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Fox
 
Bulucanagria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S. Grafton, Massachusetts
Default

Whatever he wants you to.
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

Ha ha ha... dirds, squirds, and brirds. Hilarious photo!!! I thought I had it bad until... I saw your brird feeder. I'm liking my squird feeder more and more.
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi
 
TheLorax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

What a very nice beard feeder you have. What a doll you are for providing such bounty for your beards.
__________________
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; we will understand only what we have been taught."
-Baba Dioum, Senegalese ecologist
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Too Wild To Garden
 
Stoloniferous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Franklin, Massachusetts, United States
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
And some scientists claim critters don't think?? HAH! Such 'scientists' give the rest of us scientists a bad name.
What scientists are you talking about?

We got turkeys at our feeder the last time we used it. I love turkeys!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Grub
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Dakota
dragonfly01 Bear-D works..

Pretty much it's more what the bear-d prefers to be called. Mostly, I suppose, to dinner. And not "late".

This morning the wauglushka - turkeys - came to the feeders. 10 of them. I had put out some dried bread chunks & 1 of them discovered them. I wish I had this on video! She hunched her 'shoulders'.. ducked her head & cocked it & eyed the chunks suspiciously & took tiny steps toward the chunks, then suddenly leapt back & sideways & trotted away. Then she'd eeease in on the chunks, peck towards them, then skitter sideways. This went on for several minutes - completely ignored by the rest of the flock. Eventually another turkey joined in & the both did this for awhile. I was laughing so hard, I was nearly on the floor. Had to hang on to a chair to stay upright.

Eventually the 1st 1 got a chunk of the bread & after she swallowed, decided itwas pretty good stuff, so she & the 2nd 1 pecked the chunk to bits & ate it. Then traffic came by & everyone lit out. But it was great entertainment while it lasted.

Have foiled the dirds on 1 feeder - Put it on a rope thru a small pulley so no one has to take a ladder out to fill that feeder. And of course, it's higher up the ash tree now. The feed bill has dropped considerably, but they are hardly hurting for food..
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Whatever he wants you to.
~smile~ I guess you are right! I know *I* won't be arguing with him!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahinh Winh View Post
Pretty much it's more what the bear-d prefers to be called. Mostly, I suppose, to dinner. And not "late".

This morning the wauglushka - turkeys - came to the feeders. 10 of them. I had put out some dried bread chunks & 1 of them discovered them. I wish I had this on video! She hunched her 'shoulders'.. ducked her head & cocked it & eyed the chunks suspiciously & took tiny steps toward the chunks, then suddenly leapt back & sideways & trotted away. Then she'd eeease in on the chunks, peck towards them, then skitter sideways. This went on for several minutes - completely ignored by the rest of the flock. Eventually another turkey joined in & the both did this for awhile. I was laughing so hard, I was nearly on the floor. Had to hang on to a chair to stay upright.

Eventually the 1st 1 got a chunk of the bread & after she swallowed, decided itwas pretty good stuff, so she & the 2nd 1 pecked the chunk to bits & ate it. Then traffic came by & everyone lit out. But it was great entertainment while it lasted.

Have foiled the dirds on 1 feeder - Put it on a rope thru a small pulley so no one has to take a ladder out to fill that feeder. And of course, it's higher up the ash tree now. The feed bill has dropped considerably, but they are hardly hurting for food..

Great story! I could picture it in my head, so I guess no video was needed. Everyone needs a good laugh.

Wauglushka ...I like it. What language is it?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ha ha ha... dirds, squirds, and brirds. Hilarious photo!!! I thought I had it bad until... I saw your brird feeder. I'm liking my squird feeder more and more.
~smile~ It was a one time thing---well, one time that I witnessed it. I'm glad I got some pics...but it will be okay with me if I don't get any more (bear-irds, that is) or at least when I'm inside again.

Then again, I planted three hazelnut trees, so I might be attracting them to other parts of the yard even without a feeder.

Yeah, I bet squirds are not so bad any more!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
What a very nice beard feeder you have. What a doll you are for providing such bounty for your beards.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Now get up off the floor and dust yourself off!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi
 
TheLorax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default

I am up. I am dusted off. The visual of the bear sitting beneath the feeder patiently waiting for a re-fill from you has simply relegated me to the floor again.
__________________
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; we will understand only what we have been taught."
-Baba Dioum, Senegalese ecologist
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bird, bird feeders, bird intelligence, dirds, feed birds, feeders, feeding, feeding birds, feeding station, feeding wildlife, photos, pictures, wildlife, wildlife feeders, wildlife intelligence

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2