Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #41
Unicellular Fungi

(giggle) Specialization is for insects. I gravitate toward learning how to do everything myself also. Soap making has me intrigued. I believe my friends and relatives will be receiving many gifts of soap next Christmas just as yours will be receiving leather crafted gifts.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #42
Official Plant Nerd

OMG. I forgot about soap making. Where's that thread?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #43
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Bar Soap Recipes

Cross continent soap making party

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #44
Fox

This is like 'Post Office'. From Turkey vultures to soap-making in only four pages!
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #45

Ok Back to turkey vultures now that they've got the links they need........

We met a foreigner a few years back. One day he came over all excited and starts telling us he saw wulchers..... Wulchers???? What the heck.... After figuring out what he was saying with his dialect we told him there are no VULTURES this far north. He insisted that is what he saw... We were all gathered around him laughing our butts off at him not knowing the local birds and all.... Well it was only a matter of time until we also saw those Wulchers he was referring to. Guess the climate change allowed them to migrate further North of their normal range. Cormorants were next and now we are even seeing a few PELICANS and those were always southern birds...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #46
Fox

I don't mind wandering conversations. If you could diagram some of my conversations with my buddy, it would look like Rube Goldberg cooked a plate of spaghetti! Many times we've had to trace a conversation back through four or five connections to get back to a point we were trying to make. "Let's see, we were talking about cars because we were talking about Detroit because we were talking about American League baseball towns because we were talking about Fenway Park because we were talking about old sports venues because we were talking about The Indy 500 because we were talking about cars..."

Since I know the snag where they like to roost now, I'm going to try to set up a blind nearby and get some really good pics this year. The spot where it will go also gives me a good view down the hill so I have a shot at seeing coyotes, deer, fox, turkey, porcupine and, if I'm lucky fisher cats. At one time or another, I've seen all of those on the farm except for the last.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #47

I saw a pair of coyotes or perhaps it was wolves out on the bay this morning.
How exciting! I've been watching daily since the ice froze knowing they go out in search of their mates right about now.......
In the 18 years we've lived here I've seen a single one wandering about on two different occasions. This was the first pair that I watched! Awesome.....

Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #48
Fox

Awesome, isn't it. The only time I've seen them other than crossing the road, they were traveling in a pair. I came up over a hill on the farm and they were trotting along. They paused a second to check me out and then went on their way.
It's pretty cool that you get to consider the possibility that they are wolves. No chance of that here, although there was one shot in western MA a few years ago after some sheep predation. DNA confirmed it was a wolf but it's difficult to say whether it was born wild or captive and then released or escaped.
Rare gray wolf appears in Mass. - USATODAY.com
From what I read, it seems that it's just a matter of time before wolves repopulate some areas of New England. With more people conscious of the need for biodiversity, there is less hysteria surrounding this creature. I'd love to see them reestablish themselves here.
Dan
Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #49

They sure are pretty. We are fortunate to have both the coyote and the wolves.
Hunters don't think much of either of them lowering the deer herds and all.
I see their tracks on our 40 near the creek. I poured a bucket of sand upon a trail in the woods and spread it out to see what crosses it.
It gives me a view of the wildlife in a different perspective.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #50
Official Plant Nerd

I totally lost those soap making threads... and I took notes to do this too. Thanks hava!!!

Tags
bird, bird behavior, birds, photo, photographs, photos, turkey, turkey vulture, turkey vulture photos, turkey vultures, vulture, vultures