Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Heron

Default Stalking the wile e roadrunner !

I know in the cartoons it was/is supposed to be the wile e. coyote but I think it should have been the other way around . One of the definitions of wile taken from ;

wile - definition of wile by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

3. Trickery; cunning.

These guys are that .

Rather than me taking the time to describe them factually I will allow this site to do that ;

The Roadrunner (DesertUSA)

A few pics of one I was chasing through the garden to day .

#1. I am stalking him , he should be on top of the dead saguaro in the center or he may have just jumped off .

#2 . There he is on top of the pallet pile of the next brush pile to be made .

#3. Got his tail .

#4. Got his feet

#5. GOT HIM ! I'll get the hang of this new camera yet .
Attached Thumbnails
Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060081.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060082.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060083.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060085.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060087.jpg  

lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Heron

Some more of him , checking out his next move .
Attached Thumbnails
Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060089.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060090.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060091.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060093.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060094.jpg  

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
Heron

He decided to go elsewhere , over into this Lycium bush .

#1. Lycium bush .

#2,3 and 4 . See him in the bush , the brownish blob in the center of the three pics .

#5. I saw him or one of his kin a little later out in the cactus patch checking out some fresh turned earth .

We have some 4 to 6 of them around here regularly .
Attached Thumbnails
Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060097.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060098.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060099.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060100.jpg   Stalking the wile e roadrunner !-p2060107.jpg  

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Salamander

Cool pics, Lonediver!! Roadrunners are some my favorite birds, and (I think) some of the most fascinating! I lived in Texas for 8 years and was lucky enough to see them now and then - it was always a treat.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Pope

That cannot be a roadrunner--everyone knows that roadrunners are blue with an enormous purple plume on their heads and legs that are a blur. I've seen one on TV.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
That cannot be a roadrunner--everyone knows that roadrunners are blue with an enormous purple plume on their heads and legs that are a blur. I've seen one on TV.
Guess that I will have to go out and catch them and dye them blue for you hedgerowe to make a believer out of you . Thier legs are a blur when in pursuit of something .

A few comments/observations of roadrunners here , very curious birds . If you leave your car window open unoccupied frequently will enter through the car window and proceed to explore the interior of the car . Have frequently seen one peering through the windshield . I have a pair of them here who apparently have claimed the front yard/front of the house as thier territory and come up on the front porch exploring every nook and cranny .

My grandmother years ago installed a mirror in her backyard staked to the ground . The/a roadrunner (somewhat territorial) would come around the mirror spy it's own image and do battle with it . The battle would be somewhat fierce ,the roadrunner flinging itself at the mirror sometimes going over/around the mirror in the process of the fight . Landing on the other side was convinced that it had driven the intruder off . Being proud of itself would start "strutting it's stuff" . Then parading back around the front of the mirror would see itself again then result in the battle starting over again .
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
Pope

Actually, they sound delightfully funny. I think that I would burst out laughing if I were to see one peering through the windshield from the inside of a car. Hmm. Reminds me of my reaction when I first saw an oystercatcher.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, bird, birds, desert, roadrunner, roadrunner photos, roadrunners, stalking, wile