Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
Heron

I mentioned the night heron 20 messages ago. Do I go to the top of the class? I took that shot in Hawaii.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #32
Unicellular Fungi

I'm not familiar with them, but it looks like a willet - i said that in Post 20. Did anyone check that out? I'm just wondering...
NawMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #33
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I've checked out all the suggestions including yours, using Cornell, Peterson and all my guide sources and the internet.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #34
Heron

Here is my night heron shot again and I also had one of it with its neck a little further stretched.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know what this bird is???-juv.night-heron.jpg   Anyone know what this bird is???-p20.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
Official Plant Nerd

Gloria and NawMatt> I saw tattlers and willets and a bunch of things I don't know what I saw. If you could have seen them near this bird the differences would have been clearer. All I had was a little common bird map freebie tourist flyer to go by and the flyer had photos of some of the common and endangered species which is how I knew what the stilts and coons were when I saw them. Kildale> "I mentioned the night heron 20 messages ago. Do I go to the top of the class?" Ya, you go to the top of the list with swamp thing by your side. I'm pretty sure you nailed it. Did you get any photos of stilts or coots? Staff> can somebody change my wrong member name in post 27? Sage> it doesn't work that way. If you're lucky there's a post marker telling you where you are and if you're even luckier a map will give you some photos around the edge of it with some birds. There are no offices. Birding tours are a joke unless you can connect with somebody from Audubon and there are no pamphlets anywhere to be had. Where I was taking this photo is pretty close to the airport and the only person we ran into... more like tripped over... was a homeless guy sleeping in the "office"... I gave him my lunch. I have a photo of where he was sleeping and he hid his bicycle behind the "office". For better lit photos... you're going to have to look to Kildale... s/he's way better than me and I'm losing most of my photos to sea spray on my lens... that I don't catch until after I've taken like 50 photos... oopsie. I'll try again on Monday for you but don't get mad at me if I don't get lucky or forget to clean my lens.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #36
Heron

I did get a few pics of stilts.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know what this bird is???-stilt.jpg   Anyone know what this bird is???-black-necked-stilt-himantopus-knudseni.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Why the double leg bands? Isn't one enough?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #38
Heron

No idea, i didn't even notice them. I thought they were part of its legs as I had never seen them before. They were just in this small pond at the side of the road. They weren't in a zoo or anything like that.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #39
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Why the double leg bands? Isn't one enough?
I'm not sure if this answers the question, or makes it more confusing. . .

DEP: Saltmarsh Sparrow Research Project Initiated

Quote:
several hundred birds were color banded this year. All birds have either two bands (one on each leg) or four bands (two on each leg). Birds born in 2002 have a US Bird Banding Lab metal band on one leg and a single colored band on the other. Older birds have a metal band and a color band on one leg, and two color bands on the other leg.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #40
WG Facilitator

And this

Banded Florida Scrub Jays

Quote:
The Banding Process:
  • First they are caught in a net, quickly but carefully removed
  • The volunteer records the data on the bands, the current weight, the gender, and measures the length of the bird.
  • If the bird does not have a band, the licensed bander will attach and record the new bird's identification bands, where it was caught, the measurements, date and release.
  • All of the data is recorded on standardized forms and sent to the recording agency
  • If caught again the same process is repeated. Anyone studying the species can request and view the stored data for comparison.
  • From these comparisons the researchers are better able to understand the lives of these beautiful gregarious birds.

Tags
avion, bird, bird habitat, bird indentification, bird photos, bird pictures, bird sanctuary, bird species, birds, birds in hawaii, habita, hawaiian birds, identify birds, kanaha state waterbird sanctuary, maui bird sanctuary, photos, pictures, pictures of birds, sanctuary, sanctuary for birds