Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #21
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
Yes they are swamp thing. I've posted pics of an immature little blue here somewhere. As they grow they start losing their white and growing more grey and during this time they're kind of a dappled grey and white until the grey fully comes in. A immature liitle blues legs have a kind of greenish cast at this time also. If anyone has access to one of the Sibley's bird ID books they have great pictures of all the immature species. I'd look but mines at home.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Didn't see any like Lib's today..............
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #23

But I did get this Little Blue

Anyone know what this bird is???-p1040546.jpg
Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
Fox

Since I can't really see the pictures on here I figured I'd post links to two immature little blues I've posted here. This first is what I call it's mottled stage where they are grey and white.

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...87-_edited.jpg

This next one is the white stage of an immature little blue.

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...-2009-146-.jpg
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

A photographer I am not. I don't have time for much more than point and shoot... this is the best I can do for you to try to help me and it's nothing more than a reduction of the original photo from some freeware program I downloaded.
I’ve gone through all these lists one by one and photo by photo and nothing is quite matching… endemic birds, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemic_birds_of_Hawaii
introduced birds, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bird_species_introduced_to_the_Hawaiian_Is lands listing of birds, http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/birds/rlp-monograph/PrimaryChecklist.htm The bird does have the "feel" of a heron which was already suggested by swamp thing and my gut tells me it's a juvenile which Sage already said and the entire wetlands was peppered with Black-crowned night herons which is what shutter bug said it was but... you guys decide and I've got another one needing an identification when you guys are up to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know what this bird is???-img_0394b.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #26
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Little Blue Heron fledgling © Sparkle Clark - Nature Scenes of South Carolina--Sparkle Clark Photography

I figured someone would see the juvenile Black-crowned night heron picture on the link to the juvenile Little Blue heron, but nobody bit
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #27
Official Plant Nerd

Shutter bug's Kildale's right... right? It is a juvenile Black-crowned night heron like s/he said it was. That photo at the Sparkle Clark photo site is a dead match down to the eye color.

Last edited by Fearless Weeder; 01-30-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: per Equilibrium
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #28
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I thought I was beating that drum, but yes, especially since you say there's a lot of them in that area. BCNH = Aku'u in Hawaiian.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

I knew the little blues were mottled then white but I was thinking that looked a lot like a blue heron juvenile from what I've seen around here but... something wasn't sitting right with me with it being a juvie blue heron because of the beak. There were a lot of the adults in the wetlands but no adult blue herons anywhere that I could see. Most of the birds were too far away for me to get photos of them though which was a bummer plus the lighting was whacky that day. We'll go back on Monday. Maybe I'll get decent light to get some photos of the adults. The adults are intense looking compact stocky birds. There were Hawaiian coots and stilts hanging out too. The coots see you and swim off in the other direction. The stilts see you and take off in the air. I'd love to get photos of the coots.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #30

Lib, don't they have info at the offices at those sites? Or birding tours? Everything down here has some level of help, most have a checklist of birds known to have been spotted there. This can be very helpful! We'd love some better lit photos to help id fieldmarks. Hope you're having a fantastic time! We are! It's 10 degrees and snow in Buffalo BUT 70 and sunny and gorgeous here in Fort Myers!

Tags
avion, bird, bird habitat, bird indentification, bird photos, bird pictures, bird sanctuary, bird species, birds, birds in hawaii, habita, hawaiian birds, identify birds, kanaha state waterbird sanctuary, maui bird sanctuary, photos, pictures, pictures of birds, sanctuary, sanctuary for birds