Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Pigeon fanciers kill hawks???

I've heard people bragging about poisoning coyotes and dogs for killing their cats but this takes the cake, Pigeon club members face federal charges - Los Angeles Times, "The agents blame the clubs that the men belong to for killing 1,000 to 2,000 hawks and falcons in Southern California every year" and "Navarro allegedly told an undercover Fish and Wildlife Service agent that he likes to "pummel" the hawks that he catches with a stick" and as if you haven't read enough... "The emotional stress of seeing birds taken daily is just too much for some fanciers," he said." The emotional stress of tossing their roller pigeons up in the air where they have a seizure and end up "spiraling uncontrollably toward the ground" getting plucked off by hawks is too much for these fanciers??? What am I missing here??? Thousands of hawks are killed to clear the skies so they can let their birds have seizures in the air and this is some sort of a hobby??? This isn't just happening in CA, Oregon Pigeon Hobbyists Charged for Killing Birds of Prey - Salem-News.Com
Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Heron

Sick, sick, sick. Wait a minute while I get my anger mob.
Where's the ASCP when you really need them?! How cruel is that! to breed birds to have seisures in mid flight.
Then to kill hawks etc because they find them an easy meal. Its the most inhuman thing I've heard of.
I'm anger on sooo many levels!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Gudgreef! This is so disgusting! Esp as I'm so involved with Peregrines.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Mentor

Good Grief, it's a shame people cause us to have spend money arresting them. I hope these fellows get a nice bunk mate and a fine big enough to give them bigger worries than flying pigeons.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Conviction with no fine-
Pigeon lover pleads guilty to killing falcon
Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Mentor

Guess we know how serious the judge takes these crimes. Maybe he should read up on the history of serial killers and how they get their start? I'd hate for that poor retired guy to not be able to spend money on pigeons.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Salamander

Why would anyone breed a bird to have siezures mid-flight, or anytime? I watched one of the videos of them rolling - seemed rather horrid to me. I have watched pigeons flying, and admired their beautiful, powerful flight. But to enjoy watch a beautiful flying creature somersault out of control? I think it's awful. Siezures aren't fun or funny for the creature having the siezure. They're terrifying, exhausting ... do these out-of-control somersaults wrench their wings back, strain muscles?

But then, people like watching dogfights, cockfights, Tennessee walking horse mistreatment, gladiators. People can be sick. And ignorant. Sometimes I'm ashamed of the human race.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Why would anyone breed a bird to have siezures mid-flight, or anytime?
Perhaps this characteristic was desirable to pigeon fanciers? The answer to the question may simply be because they could.

Tags
avian, avian news, bird, birds, birds of prey, falcon, falcons, fanciers, federal charges, federal policies, fish and wildlife service, hawk, hawks, hawks killed, kill, news article, pigeon, pigeon fanciers kill hawks