Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

Oh my GOD!!! I am sending that photo to all my tree hugger friends!!! That one should be framed with benj1's post as a sub title!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #42
Grub

dragonfly01 That's 'really' a

very hairy bird with a long tail & short wings. Inventive little cuss, ain't it?!? Gotta admire something with that much determination.
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #43
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitraBenzoet View Post
I love that no matter how squirrel proof a bird feeder is the squirrels eventually figure it out.
LOL! That is so funny...and cute too!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #44

After trying to re-arrange the furniture in our living room, realizing that it didn't look right (or fit), and putting it all back, the sun streaming in from outside beckoned me outside. YAY! I grabbed the camera and was greeted by chickadees who continued visiting the feeder with me barely 3 feet away.

I started trying to get some good close-ups. Who knows how long I'd have stayed trying to get that perfect shot, but the battery light began flashing, so I took as many shots as I could before it shut down. Most of the time the birds would leave the perch before I could get a shot.

Here is what I came up with before the camera powered down:
Attached Thumbnails
What's at your feeders winter 2010-147.jpg   What's at your feeders winter 2010-146.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #45
WG Operations, Facilitator

dapjwy-

Thanks for providing my "chickadee fix." I only get to see them in the summertime!
BTW, nice chickadee photos!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #46
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have had a huge influx of pine siskins in the several weeks, since it snowed Saturday a week and a half ago. Now they are here, they are staying, a flock of about a dozen with accompanying goldfinches, housefinches and a few pine warblers. They wait outside in the morning for me to fill my tray feeder (I don't put out much at a time since the raccoons come at night if I do).

I feel a little sorry for my year round resident chickadees and titmice who I worry are being displaced by the crowd.

I've never tried using bacon grease in my suet. That is a great way to use something that otherwise goes to waste - great idea! The bluebirds have been coming to our suet that has a bunch of holly berries and pokeberries in it, too.

There are almost no acorns this year, last year having been a mast year. I've been letting the squirrels have some before chasing them off. They need to eat, too. I didn't know deer could do that to bird feeders, though. I now know who knocked over the feeder I have on a pole with a baffle on it. It is ideally placed for a deer walking by. I need to rethink its placement.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
dapjwy-

Thanks for providing my "chickadee fix." I only get to see them in the summertime!
BTW, nice chickadee photos!
4B, glad I could oblige.

Aww...sorry to hear that you don't see these cute, friendly, cheerful birds over the winter--but, I'm *really* glad to hear that you do see them over the summer!

Thanks. I'm just glad I got a few close-ups.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #48

[QUOTE=turttle;84848]I've never had pine siskins or pine warblers. Enjoy them while they are there. I'm assuming your chickadees and titmice (titmouses? ) will get their share.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #49
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh Citra ...That's one clever squirrel.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird food, bird photographs, bird pictures, bird species, birds, birds in winter, chickadee, downy woodpecker, feeders, feeding birds, feeding the birds, finches, goldfinch, nuthatch, pileated woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, robin, siskins, towhee, white breasted nuthatch, winter