Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #31
Grub

dragonfly01 Dird Feeder Picture

This pretty much says it all.. Taken by light from the street light 100 ft away. They bump the feeders with their heads, too, to make more seeds fall out - & they take turns doing it. Who'da thunk?!?
Attached Thumbnails
What's at your feeders winter 2010-deer-bird-feeder4-022010-dsc00516.jpg  
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #32
Fox

Super follow-up on your story! Thanks.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #33
Salamander

We've got tons of goldfinches, some house finches, brown headed and white breasted nuthatches, downy woodpecker, yellow bellied sapsucker, red bellied woodpecker(a male and a female), cardinals, wrens, juncos, chipping sparrows, tufted titmouse, chickadees, mourning doves, a few red wing blackbirds and eastern bluebirds! Never saw them at the feeder before but we put blueberries in our suet and the bluebirds are all over it! I had 4 bluebirds taking turns on a suet cake the other day. I guess that's why the sapsucker was there too. We only use black oil sunflower seeds and safflower seeds in our feeders, but almost all of them love the suet.
Attached Thumbnails
What's at your feeders winter 2010-dsc02489-small.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #34
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4dabirds View Post
We've got tons of goldfinches, some house finches, brown headed and white breasted nuthatches, downy woodpecker, yellow bellied sapsucker, red bellied woodpecker(a male and a female), cardinals, wrens, juncos, chipping sparrows, tufted titmouse, chickadees, mourning doves, a few red wing blackbirds and eastern bluebirds! Never saw them at the feeder before but we put blueberries in our suet and the bluebirds are all over it! I had 4 bluebirds taking turns on a suet cake the other day. I guess that's why the sapsucker was there too. We only use black oil sunflower seeds and safflower seeds in our feeders, but almost all of them love the suet.
Another member with a big seed expense! Care to share your suet recipe?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #35
WG Fundraising Coordinator

In addition to all the birds I mentioned above, I'm seeing a lot of hermit thrushes. They are really sweet birds, with a sweet voice. Again, mostly insect eaters but I guess anything will do this time of year.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #36
Salamander

I have a pair of birds I am seeing regularly that are mostly dark gray with an underside of light gray. They are about the size of my chickadees. Their eyes are very shiny. I think they are a male and a female. They look exactly the same. Would someone tell me what they might be?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #37
Fox

Default Dark-eyed Junco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knees View Post
I have a pair of birds I am seeing regularly that are mostly dark gray with an underside of light gray. They are about the size of my chickadees. Their eyes are very shiny. I think they are a male and a female. They look exactly the same. Would someone tell me what they might be?
If they are the slate-colored junco, you will see them mostly eating on the ground, poking about in the brush, picking up who-knows-what bits of this and that. They like the wild bird seed mix that I put out.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #38
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
Another member with a big seed expense! Care to share your suet recipe?

Sure, we melt down the bacon grease we save up, add chunky peanut butter and melt that, add rolled oats, cornmeal, sunflower kernels, bacon bits, blueberries and just enough flour to thicken it a little. Then we pour it into shallow baking pans and sit it in the fridge to cool off. Then cut into cakes and let em have at it.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #39
Grub

I love that no matter how squirrel proof a bird feeder is the squirrels eventually figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
What's at your feeders winter 2010-dscf0674.jpg  
CitraBenzoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #40
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitraBenzoet View Post
I love that no matter how squirrel proof a bird feeder is the squirrels eventually figure it out.
"I'm a bird -- really!"

Tags
2010, bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird food, bird photographs, bird pictures, bird species, birds, birds in winter, chickadee, downy woodpecker, feeders, feeding birds, feeding the birds, finches, goldfinch, nuthatch, pileated woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, robin, siskins, towhee, white breasted nuthatch, winter