Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #31
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Very sweet! I have had a momma robin and her fledglings in my yard for the past two weeks. I think she knows I have all the worms!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Isn't it a crack up when the babies are as big as the mommas and they open their mouths for a hand out!!! I love robins. I set out trays of earthworms for mine. Fantastic photos Sage!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Nice worm lips......

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #34
Unicellular Fungi

I have 2 Robin nests in my flower garden this year. One is in the crotch of an apple tree and the other is right on top of my gate post into the veggie garden. The one in the apple tree is easy enough to avoid but I keep forgetting the one on the post as I use that gate constantly. She is really quite aggressive. In order not to be attacked I have to go all the way around the barn, down the drive and past the chicken house. Then through a stock gate and back around to the veggie garden. I will be so glad when she is done with my gate post. I have never seen a robin nest so out in the open like that. They usually are protected in some way.
rainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #35

I haven't found my robins nest this year.... It's there somewhere up higher than ever in the evergreen.....I hear her crabbing at me.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 AM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

There was a shelter at a soccer field. I sat in there since it was drizzling and there was a robin crabbing at me. She'd built her nest smack dab on the top of a beam. rainin> what kind of chickens do you have and how many?
Attached Thumbnails
Who likes robins?-img_2062.jpg   Who likes robins?-img_2064.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #37
Unicellular Fungi

I don't have any chickens right now but we will be ordering chicks in July. I cant wait!!! I plan to order 50 meat chickens (cant remember the names right) now and 50 layers. Im ordering straight run so I figured half of my layers would be roosters and go into the freezer. We had chickens when I was at home for years. Do you have chickens and if so do you have any recommendations for layers in zone 5a?
rainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #38
Official Plant Nerd

Ah ha!!! You and me are both chickenless!!!! I've been doing a lot of reading on this since I'm planning on buying chickens from kids at the county fair. I've been watching for years and these kids hand raise their chickens then try to make money off of them selling them at the fair and I figured I'd buy from kids even if I had to pay a little more. A coupla years ago there was a little girl that was trying to sell her chicken as a "pet". She was grilling people asking her about her chicken if they were going to eat it or keep it as a pet. My heart sort of bled for the kid and I knew if I ever was going to do chickens I'd be buying them from the younger kids at the fair trying to keep them out of a soup pot. They'll be selling hundreds of chickens.... all different breeds.... all probably raised in incubators by doting little kids like that on trying to keep hers out of the stew pot which means they're gonna be good with people. I just started a thread on my chicken tractor that turned into a full sized chicken coop in ohhhhh.... all of about a couple hours after everybody and their brother had their say so about my "simple" chicken tractor project, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...coop-soup.html. I'll go start another thread in that same area on what I've learned so far about layers for urban farmers in colder regions. It was actually trickier than I thought. I guess we can't just go order the cheapest egg layers or pick the tamest chickens from the county fair and expect them to lay baby lay in zone 4 or 5. And now..... back to the scheduled robin lip photos....
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #39
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Who likes robins?-p1020581.jpg Collecting lichen?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #40

Nooo Those are dead hairy caterpillars hanging from its beak. LOTS of them.

Tags
bird, bird calls, bird eggs, bird nests, bird photographs, bird photos, bird sounds, bird species, birds, fledgling, fledglings, identify birds, likes, photos of birds, pie bald robin, robin, robin fledglings, robin photographs, robin photos, robins