Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Provide water for birds during migration.

Even though it is misty and cool our backyard is a bird haven today. I have seen nuthatches,wrens,cardinals, thrush, woodpeckers and assorted unknowns. They are moving about in the trees and shrubs and checking out the wood piles and bird baths. There is still plenty of food for many from the seeds, berries and insects. A large storm system that is moving in maybe has them seeking shelter.

I read an article in the Tribune (not today but recently) about providing water for the migrating birds during long flights when their body temperatures increase greatly, garden water stations help them to cool down.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Very timely addition. I love the articles you add.

We should all try our very best to provide water free of ice to our feathered friends during winter also.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

The cardinals and the woodpeckers will stay all winter.Juniper berries(blue-berry like cones) are plentiful this year and these old trees provide haven for insects to overwinter.
I was surprised to see a nuthatch in our garden. Until a couple of years ago chickadees were common all winter but not recently.
I think it was November last year when we saw a hawk capture and feed on a mourning dove,he sat on a log and finished his meal leaving behind a few feathers and a smear.
Occasionally a kestrel will appear on the tower over looking our garden.
Today it has been raining and the only sign of wildlife is the house sparrows.
Instead I watch the leaves fall.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
Fox

We have several store bought bird baths and we enjoy having them. Lately though I've been thinking a lot about adding a natural bird bath with two pools at different elevations and a small waterfall in between. I've even started piling up extra dirt in the area I want it to be located.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Pope

Quote:
I think it was November last year when we saw a hawk capture and feed on a mourning dove,he sat on a log and finished his meal leaving behind a few feathers and a smear.
Occasionally a kestrel will appear on the tower over looking our garden.
Today it has been raining and the only sign of wildlife is the house sparrows.
Instead I watch the leaves fall.
Your writing is very evocative, Gloria. I like it very much.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I try to keep one birdbath all year round. I have a deicing wand for over winter. I know most of my friends clean and flip their bird feeders about this time of year so they don't freeze and crack. Maybe everyone should be rethinking that practice. What you mentioned about birds needing to cool down while migrating makes sense.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

There is a space out back where the sun shines from the south on sunny days. A metal pan of fresh water set in a pre-dug shallow hole with the sun shining on it will stay clear of ice for several hours mid-day . If the sun shines, this is Chicago.

Thanks Lorax and hedgerowe.
Maggie I understand, water is a lure for all wildlife including our own species.

Today as I raked a few leaves to transfer from the front to the backyard (don't want them blowing away for someone else to use...I mean have to rake) I saw what looked like one of the wrens still hanging around. Whenever I got close though it would hide in the wood pile. Small and dark with that tail in the air and the way the head and beak are formed, it must be a wren. It was digging in the leaf litter and trying to gain space at the compost. Several sparrows with white stripes on their heads chased it away every time. They were even chasing the plain old house sparrows out of the garden.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

A house wren lingering doesn't sound good at this time of year. Do you think he's ok?

Tags
bird, bird species, birds, migrating birds, migration, migratory bird, migratory birds, provide, water, water for birds