Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Salamander

Hedgerow,

You totally ROCK!

I'm proud to know you, you are truly a land steward.

Quietman
Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Pope

Thank you for your interest and positive thoughts, Quietman, havalotta, gnomenative, and MaggyNoLia. Owls are special to me, Screech Owls especially. I will post on Quiet the owl again tomorrow.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

I love people who have a conscience and can't pass up paper bags. I made my husband stop to save a turtle once on the way up north in the middle of the night with kids sleeping in the back. We armed ourselves with ice scrapers for that big snapper to latch onto to pull it over to safety on the other side of the road. I've been ribbed about saving the over turned car headlight from the middle of the road for ohhhhh... at least 10 years now. I'd risk the humiliation of saving another headlamp... just in case. You're a good person Ms. Hedgerowe. Your pocketbook is going to be a little lighter after you get the vet bill but... you'll sleep good at night.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
Pope

I offered to pay whatever it would take to get Quiet back on his feet, and the animal hospital refused. I offered to make a donation to whatever fund they might have for orphaned animals or disadvantaged pet owners or similar, but they don't have anything like that. Perhaps I can find a way to pay it forward. Will let you all know about Quiet later today.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
Rock Star

Keeping my fingers crossed for Quiet.

It is really wonderful that you knew exactly what to do and where to bring the owl.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #16
Pope

Thank you for the crossed fingers, will-o-wisp. Where to bring Quiet was just a lucky guess. I drove to town not knowing whether I would find an animal hospital open that early. I realized as I drove that I was near one that has a good reputation and I kept my fingers crossed that they would have opened early--they had!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Pope

Quiet is eating! He ate yesterday, and is having some breakfast right now. He is eating cat food, but since owls and cats have similar tastes in rodents, I guess that makes some sense.

Yesterday afternoon he seemed to have some trouble breathing, so they put him on oxygen. Today he is breathing fine, though. He seems to be having some weakness in one of his talons, but there do not seem to be any broken bones so the Vet is hopeful that he will regain strength there.

It is still hard to tell for sure, but it looks like Quiet is going to be okay. I told the animal hospital that there are people all over the country who are pulling for the little guy, and they said that I could continue to call and ask for updates. I will keep you all informed.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
WG Operations, Facilitator

Hedgerowe-
Just catching up with your owl rescue story. You just earned a 5 gold stars on the Wildlife Gardeners' Good Samaritan score card.
What a kind soul you are to rescue Quiet, the Eastern Screech Owl.

The owls in the Northwoods are pulling for Quiet.
Please keep us updated.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Grub

That's great that he is eating! That was always the biggest landmark on the recovery when I used to rehab raptors! Thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #20
Pope

Stopped by the hospital this morning, with fresh muffins for the staff, to thank them for looking after Quiet. My heart sank when they told me that he wasn't there, but it turns out that it is okay; he went home with the Vet last night to get him into a calmer environment. It is her day off, so he will be spending the day at her house in a nice, heated cage (warming those little toes with the deadly-looking claws).

As of yesterday afternoon he has graduated to eating chicken livers (go, Quiet!), a good sign. However, he is not eating as much as they would like and they think it might be stress-related, which is why they thought that he might benefit from a more peaceful environment.

I arrived there this morning hopeful to get photos of him for WG, but they said that I could come back tomorrow morning and see him then. I'll see if I can get him to give you all a big smile!

Tags
hopeful, owl