Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Grub

Default Anyone EBird?

This may have been gone over, if so I apologize. I'd like to recommend to wildlife gardeners/bird watchers to report sightings at Birding News and Features; eBird

You can report birds you see as well as look through location maps to find what species are sighted in a given location. I've found this to be valuable when planting, i.e. I want to attract red-headed woodpeckers, not so common these days, so I checked ebird to see if any had been reported in my area. Sadly not many people report where I am!

My personal system is to only report a permanent resident once annually, migrant birds I list both spring and fall. Some people report everything they see every time, but I try it keep in low maintenance so I don't burn out.

It also helps Cornell & the Audubon Society keep track. They also have the great backyard bird count, project feeder watch, predator watch and Nest Watch if you care to go absolutely bat poo reporting bird things in your yard. I'm the bat poo sort. I embrace my inner dork.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I embrace my inner dork.
Hooray for you. We are what we are - no point in hiding it. Celebrate it.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I embrace my inner dork.
That would be a terrific sig line! (As I have yet to come up with one.)

About eBird, remind me again in 15 years when I can no longer hobble out to the garden every day. I really enjoyed the migrating robins today, but there's just not enough time for everything...
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Actually, someone checking results called me from ebird because I reported seeing six peregrine falcons that day. I explained there was a nesting pair with four eyases. We saw them on the webcam plus in person.

Also, since I had a real person on the line, I asked about whether to report seeing the same birds every time because we go out daily and spot them. He said "Yes", report them today even if you reported seeing them yesterday, and the day before. Seems excessive, but that's what he said.

In the past year, they have asked for "full" reports, where you report every bird you see. Since I know certain birds but not others, I felt I should no longer give them partial reports. We go out looking for Peregrines, or Red-tails, and see many other birds, but can't ID them and haven't counted them.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Actually, someone checking results called me from ebird because I reported seeing six peregrine falcons that day. I explained there was a nesting pair with four eyases. We saw them on the webcam plus in person.

Also, since I had a real person on the line, I asked about whether to report seeing the same birds every time because we go out daily and spot them. He said "Yes", report them today even if you reported seeing them yesterday, and the day before. Seems excessive, but that's what he said.

In the past year, they have asked for "full" reports, where you report every bird you see. Since I know certain birds but not others, I felt I should no longer give them partial reports. We go out looking for Peregrines, or Red-tails, and see many other birds, but can't ID them and haven't counted them.
I don't think I could manage that many sightings but understand their wish. I also don't list anything I haven't photographed just for positive id. Part of my ebird use is for my neighborhood habitat/greenspace projects - I only keep a list of birds sighted in my community. People in my neighborhood can check my specific list and landscape according to that species. As in: I saw warblers in the wax myrtle, waxwings in the dogwoods, wood thrush nested in the musadine, etc (list combines with a community blog). I don't want to overwhelm people with info or long lists and try and keep it casual fun.

However I am big on reporting migrants, particularly the warblers, for Cornell and Audubon.

BUT I am coming to your place to see falcons. Beautiful, beautiful birds. Lucky you!!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

We have at least five known breeding pair and in the 2009 season we fledged about twenty Peregrines here and will have at least one more nesting pair for the first time in 2010. They've picked out their new home and the DEC will have a nestbox up shortly!

I have documented one nest in particular because of its close proximity, the fact the cams never worked so we made personal visits, and the help of great people working in the complex housing the nestbox who were very involved and cooperative. Also as much of the other Pefas as I could get into the blog. ~Peregrine Place~

What ebird requested in terms of wanting reports of all birds seen has something to do with getting a good grip on what is co-existing in a given location, I'm not a bird expert so that made it difficult for me to report further.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Grub

Sage - visited your blog and WOW. How unbelievably beautiful. That got bookmarked and will be passed on.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #8

Thanks, Random!

Tags
audubon, audubon society, backyard bird count, bird, bird count, bird migration, bird species, bird watch, bird watchers, bird watching, birding news, birds, ebird, ebird online, nest watch, predator watch, project feeder watch, recording bird activity, watching birds