Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   one eye (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/3859-one-eye.html)

mimbrava 09-19-2009 08:09 PM

one eye

1 Attachment(s)
This Great-horned owl is one of the raptors at the Chattahoochee Nature Center that is used for educational purposes. Because it came to the CNC without a left eye, it cannot be released into the wild. Such close encounters with these magnificent birds are always thrilling experiences, for adults and especially for children.

My Flickr page: www.flickr.com/photos/mimbrava

biigblueyes 09-19-2009 08:55 PM

We have other members here involved with raptors. I think Sage was able to take part in banding some of them.

One eye or not, I imagine that is thrilling for the kids.

Fearless Weeder 09-19-2009 09:28 PM

What a sensational first post.

A very warm welcome to you mimbrava.

Sage 09-19-2009 10:08 PM

Aha! mimbrava is a fantastic photographer! I knew I recognized the name! Welcome mim!

Sage 09-19-2009 10:10 PM

omg! I'm a Fox now! And FW, why don't the number of posts show anymore? :::scratches head:::

Fearless Weeder 09-19-2009 10:37 PM

We're beginning to make space for Level III Ecoregions, USDA Hardiness Zones, and future custom icons. I think you'll like the end result.

Sage 09-19-2009 10:40 PM

Ok, but I still don't know why the number of posts disappeared!

Fearless Weeder 09-19-2009 11:15 PM

Six slots work best in the space allowed once custom icons come into existence. Many members have locations requiring two slots.

Ultimately we would like to have,

1 Join Date
2/3 Location
4 Level III Ecoregion
5 USDA Hardiness Zones
6 Custom icon

USDA Hardiness Zones are very important to some members while others find Level III Ecoregions to be more useful when replying to another member. Idealistically, we would have preferred to retain the Post Count in place of USDA Hardiness Zones. We needed to consider the membership. The USDA Hardiness Zones were deemed more useful than the Post Count. We may need to consider removing join date dependent upon the size of icons chosen. Some are 1 slot while others are 2.

mimbrava 09-19-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Aha! mimbrava is a fantastic photographer! I knew I recognized the name! Welcome mim!
Thanks, Sage.

Equilibrium 09-20-2009 11:49 PM

Your one-eye is what they call eye candy around here. Welcome to you. Really good to see someone with photos like that. Are you into birds or photography or both?

adding, my vote would be to ditch the USDA hardiness zones and the join date. We're all here so it doesn't matter when we joined and the hardiness zones are impractical and misleading.