Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Yes but where's it gonna go? In your lawn? I'd plant it. Great plant.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Fox

Flowersred Silphium perfoliatum

I've had this plant, one clump, in the back yard for six years and never knew what it was until Porterbrook mentioned the name and I had to look it up. Thank you, Porterbrook! I've not found new seedling plants sprouting until this year, and they were in disturbed soil around the parent plant. But mine hasn't attracted much attention from wildlife, some of the stalks fall over and the flowers are small.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Fox

Goldfinches and echinacea

I don't see them very often, but I know the finches are feeding on my echinacea by the scraps they leave:
Attached Thumbnails
Goldfinches-goldfinch-feeding-remnants-echinacea.jpg  
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

You are such a lucky duck. Don't you wish you had a motion activated camera to see who had such a lovely dinner provided by you.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
Heron

I thought I'd bump this up.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Fox

If by bump it up you meant bring it to the forefront so somebody who might be interested would notice the thread, mission accomplished. Thanks!
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
Grub

You can add Rudbeckia fulgida to the list as well. I have both this and Echinacea outside our dining room window (with a few other things) and they are usually in it once it starts going to seed. Fun to watch while we're eating.

They also get in the couple black oil sunflowers we allow to grow from seed and they hop around our downy hawthorn trees when they are in bloom.
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asclepias tuberosa, black eyed susan, brown eyed susan, butterfly weed, chamaecrista fasciculata, coreopsis lanceolata, cup plant, echinacea purpurea, eryngium yuccifolium, goldfinch, goldfinches, grey headed coneflower, helianthus grosseserratus, heliopsis helianthoides, native plants for birds, native plants for goldfinches, oxeye sunflower, partridge pea, purple coneflower, ratibida pinnata, rattlesnake master, rudbeckia hirta, rudbeckia triloba, sawtooth sunflower, silphium perfoliatum